• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

"Traffic Jet" prints needed

skyhigh

Does it have to be the Avery TrafficJet System?

The only 2 print systems I know is the Traffic Jet and Matan.
(screen and transparent are not options for this job).

2CT Media, No it doesn't have to be the Traffic Jet. What else is available?

skyhigh

It is standard colors, but Its tight registration with 5 colors.
Job would just be easier with a printer system.

skyhigh

If you have a latex you can print onto HIP, we do it all the time.

But isn't your prints opaque? The traffic jet utilizes 6 "transparent" spot colors. Not sure about your HP.
If you're printing black on white, yellow or orange HIP, thats great.

Just for an example...... If you're printing a "stop sign" on white HIP, will your red be reflective?
The traffic jet will be, just not sure about the HP.

AKwrapguy

But isn't your prints opaque? The traffic jet utilizes 6 "transparent" spot colors. Not sure about your HP.
If you're printing black on white, yellow or orange HIP, thats great.

Just for an example...... If you're printing a "stop sign" on white HIP, will your red be reflective?
The traffic jet will be, just not sure about the HP.

The HP latex have variable ink density. I'm getting ready to print onto some HIP right now. I'll try to take a pic and load it onto here.

There are very specific target requirements defined by ASTM for both color and retroreflectivity of ink colors for regulated traffic signage. 3M and HP are aligned on traffic signage solutions in a similar manner that Avery and Mutoh are with the Trafficjet. One key difference is that the HP Latex 365 achieves the required ASTM compliance on 3M HIP and DG film using the standard HP 831 ink set. See attached for more info.

Attachments

• 3M HPL Regulated Traffic.pdf
    112.5 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:

Christian @ 2CT Media

I can attest to the Latex being reflective when printed, we print them all the time on 3M EGP or the new Avery PEG films. I just know some places spec a certain ink.

skyhigh

There are very specific target requirements defined by ASTM for both color and retroreflectivity of ink colors for regulated traffic signage. 3M and HP are aligned on traffic signage solutions in a similar manner that Avery and Mutoh are with the Trafficjet. One key difference is that the HP Latex 365 achieves the required ASTM compliance on 3M HIP and DG film using the standard HP 831 ink set. See attached for more info.

Thank you HP guys for the info. The HP colors will be reflective.........am I right at 70% reflectivity??
As for "regulated" traffic signs, the HP is only approved for non-regulated signs. (3m digital traffic sign printing)

Digital Printing for Traffic Signs | 3M United States
(scroll down half way thru the article. They list 3 printers..... The durst rho....efi.....and HP365)

While the HP will suit this particular reflective project, it is limited in the traffic sign field to basically a black print (from what HP told me, and what I've read on 3m)

Last edited:
That is old information. As of December 2017, there are now six colors that meet ASTM targets for for regulated traffic signage with the 365 on 3M HIP 3930 and DG 4000 films. The six colors are:
- Black
- Green
- Blue
- Red
- Brown
- Purple

The 3M MCS Warranty for Traffic is 10 years on 3930 HIP and 12 years on 4000 DG (with 3M 1170c laminate) If you read the 3M PDF document in post 14, it's detailed there.

Last edited:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
That is old information. As of December 2017, there are now six colors that meet ASTM targets for for regulated traffic signage with the 365 on 3M HIP 3930 and DG 4000 films. The six colors are:
- Black
- Green
- Blue
- Red
- Brown
- Purple

The 3M MCS Warranty for Traffic is 10 years on 3930 HIP and 12 years on 4000 DG (with 3M 1170c laminate) If you read the 3M PDF document in post 14, it's detailed there.

I'm not quite sure I understand this. 10 years and 12 years produced by/on digital printers ?? I can see the material lasting that long, but the prints, too ?? With silk screening on the various stuff, I could possibly see to 10 and 12 years.

AKwrapguy

So just got in a roll of the 3930DS along with the 1170 lam and printed a sign for a customer. After some tweaking our HIP profile on our HP570 it works awesome. The new 3930DS seems to be more pliable and goes through the machine very easily.
3930DS_HIP_sample.jpg

I'm not quite sure I understand this. 10 years and 12 years produced by/on digital printers ?? I can see the material lasting that long, but the prints, too ?? With silk screening on the various stuff, I could possibly see to 10 and 12 years.

Your understanding is correct: The 3M Warranty for Traffic is 10 years for regulated traffic signs printed with HP Latex 36x on HIP 3930. The warranty period is 12 years for Latex 36x printed traffic signs on DG 4000 Series.