• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Transfer Tape Not Sticking

dirtydog50000

I do mostly t shirts & embroidery but lately I have been getting a lot more truck and window lettering. I must say weeding sucks but on top of that I have to fight with the transfer tape and the vinyl letters. The transfer tape sticks to about 90% of the letters and I have to fight with the remaining 10%, and I squeegee the crap out of it. Does anyone have any tips for getting the vinyl letters to stick to the transfer tape?

Thanks,

Paul

Billct2

I hate clear app tape in general, only use it when I absolutely have to.
And that is a low tack tape, try some regular R tape.

Mysticalvibes

Hi Paul, you get different types of tapes with different tack levels eg - low, medium, & high tack. You might have one with a lower tack. Also when your removing it make sure you pull it off at a 180 degree angle and not 90 degree towards yourself. This should help all been well

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Oroscoe

R-Tape. Our go to for the past 10 years or so has been the 4075. We have used maintape, clear tape, brite line, and several others. On standard (intermediate) vinyl we use the R-tape 4075 but on 3M 7725 or 180 and 680 we use 3M SCPS55. Nothing more aggravating than curling tape.

dirtydog50000

Thanks for your responses. I was unaware there were different levels of tack for transfer tapes. I ended up using the clear tape because of the obvious reason.

Snydo

After applying your mask flip over your piece and squeegee the liner, it helps the smaller elements really grab onto the mask.

gabagoo

For years I used medium tack and then started seeing the same issue where most was ok but some areas would remain on the backing paper and then get mangled. I switched to high tack about 2 years ago and have found that on the odd occasion it may happen and I blame it on poor adhesive in certain areas of the mask. It's always best if you can flip the graphics upside down and remove the backing paper...for some reason it always peels easier.