• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Translucent or Clear media

NitroTech

We have a customer for a backlit sign that requires full digital print. I've done only a couple previous and always printed them to translucent vinyl and laminated.

Recently, I had someone tell me that printing to translucent is crap and doesn't last so they now only print to clear and laminate.

What are your experiences because I could use some advice on this please?

NitroTech

Whoa! That's a new concept to me. First surface, second surface? Could you explain this with more detail because you lost me.

MikePro

i like printing on both. No noticeable difference in ink durability, but trans. can be used for both clear and translucant white panels.

Preferred on trans. over clear since a LOT of our illuminated prints go on reused panels that tend to yellow over time from sun exposure.

MikePro

Whoa! That's a new concept to me. First surface, second surface? Could you explain this with more detail because you lost me.
color "washes out" when illuminated at night, with single-sided solvent prints.

adding a reverse-print to the backside of the panel converts the light passing-thru and shows and helps the front graphic illuminate the true color when lit at night.

some people double the ink layers to help the color not wash-out at night, but your color will be extremely dark during daylight.

agile4

How do you get the front and back images to line up properly? Sounds like a nightmare.

We are being asked to do a backlit sign and have never done one. We are fairly new in the sign business.

Any place I can find a tutotial on it or a video?

Tom

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
Backlit printing

There actually is another way if you have a white ink capability built into your printer. We have the option of a Day-Night backlit on clear or white translucent material. Basically what we are able to do is either an In Line FLOOD Coat of white ink or SPOT WHITE Ink between two prints of the image and or text. This process gives you the added density of the backprint and the color correct single front print. Its not the most popular way to do backlits due to price...but it is one of the best.

signpro

Manager
How do you get the front and back images to line up properly? Sounds like a nightmare.

We are being asked to do a backlit sign and have never done one. We are fairly new in the sign business.

Any place I can find a tutotial on it or a video?

Tom

if you have a light table, i found that to be the easiest way to line them up. as far as lining them up PERFECTLY... not easy to do. however, if they are off by just a touch, i've never noticed on the finished product once installed. cars are viewing them at at 25+mph, and you're never really that close to them to see the mis-registration. i mean you cant be a 1/2" or even 1/4" off... but a tiny bit off and it's not noticeable to 99% of the population. (just make sure you don't tell anyone)

Johnny Best

From MikePro/Oct14, 2011 in search area...
"color "washes out" when illuminated at night, with single-sided solvent prints.

adding a reverse-print to the backside of the panel converts the light passing-thru and shows and helps the front graphic illuminate the true color when lit at night.

some people double the ink layers to help the color not wash-out at night, but your color will be extremely dark during daylight."

AKwrapguy

We don't do first or second surface we print both first surface. First you print onto clear apply it to the plex, than print onto trans, laminate it and apply to plex over top the clear layer. It works best with a light table.