• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Translucent vinyl shows LED hot spots

612 SIGNS

Hello,
We have built a face lit sign that is 4" deep. It has a .7" polycarbonate face with full color print on white translucent vinyl and 3M Day/Night vinyl.
The LEDs show through quite clearly as "hot spots".
An application of diffusing vinyl did not solve the problem.
What other alternatives are there?

J Hill Designs

Hello,
We have built a face lit sign that is 4" deep. It has a .7" polycarbonate face with full color print on white translucent vinyl and 3M Day/Night vinyl.

put trans vinyl on the LED's maybe?

seriously, .7" polycarb?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
My opinion, ya built the can too shallow. Gonna take a lot to take the hot spots away, if at all. It will all be assumption along with trial & error.

Usually if the face is 5.5" away you need one type which isn't as bright for a deeper can. See which ones you used and see if you can put a dimmer LED in there.

Also, .7 ?? That has got to be a typo. What the heck kinda retainer did you use ??​

Marlene

do you have a photo? also wondering about .7" thick polycarb. that would be almost 3/4" thick, you sure that is what you have?

Andy D

Actually I was curious, so I just went back and talked to the guy in the shop that does all the LED
sign population. Pretty much all he does is LED and pulling pan faces, so he knows his stuff.

He said that the typical sign depth went from over 7" to 5"-6" and now 3" is becoming common.
It's all about using the right type of LED light with the right project... He keeps 7-8 different kinds.

The only thing I can think of to help in your situation is try and put reflective vinyl on to the inside -back and sides of the cabinet.

Andy D

Also, what level diffuser? And the 3M day/night obviously is white on the adhesive side, correct?

Z SIGNS

Could be many things

wrong led
wrong spacing of led
you put a print on clear plastic instead of white

612 SIGNS

Hello,

Hi everyone, sorry for the typo. Faces are white poly .170".
Cans inside are painted high gloss white.
3m makes 2 level of light diffusing vinyl, I tried both.
I am not sure if I should use less powerful leds or more leds

Most LED specs are way off. A lot of times LED mfg's call out for 1 per foot, at a typical 5" depth I would add 2.5 per foot just to be safe and prolong the hot spotting that WILL come later when the light starts to degrade. At 3" expect o use a lot more per foot and tighter on the rows. Modules that are 3 per foot or more will better cover the surface light.

with 3" letters the cost for LEDs end up going up just to keep even surface light. or you use a lower wattage LEDs and and use a lot of them.

nashvillesigns

Making America great, one sign at a time.
hot spots

like everyone said, the cabinet is too shalllow. would it be cheaper to pan-face it? this would raise out the face away from the LED.
-Mosher