• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Translucent Vinyl Turning Black

Sarah Barham

Graphic Artist
We produced a sign in 2013. We printed on translucent vinyl and installed on lexan. One side of the sign in completely black, and the other side is now turning. I’m assuming it’s the sun, but how can we make sure it doesn’t happen again. Client wants us to reproduce the sign.

Attachments

• E3384E6D-7EBC-411B-9C94-8C0C66F5B705.jpeg
    E3384E6D-7EBC-411B-9C94-8C0C66F5B705.jpeg
    917.7 KB · Views: 289

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You have a sign which is failing after 7 or 8 years and they want you to 'now' fix it ?? I presume this picture is that of the bad side. Many clears will burn out after about 4 or 5 years regardless of conditions.

For signs like that, we tell them ahead of time, they'll only last maybe 6 years at best, before fading or turning like that. There're all kinds of lams you could use and some react differently than others, but like I said, for the most part, they'll all eventually do that.​

signage

reverse paint is only way to make last longer, even doing that the red will fade faster. but should get good bit more than seven years!

McDonald Signs

McDonald Signs & Graphics
Laminate is turning brown. Use cast vinyl that is translucent or have or make clear faces painted from the backside. Clear Painted faces will last a really long time outdoors but cost alot more

Zendavor Signs

Mmmmm....signs
We produced a sign in 2013. We printed on translucent vinyl and installed on lexan. One side of the sign in completely black, and the other side is now turning. I’m assuming it’s the sun, but how can we make sure it doesn’t happen again. Client wants us to reproduce the sign.
Calendared laminate does that. Use cast this time. However, 7 to 8 years is pretty good life for any digital print.

Billct2

How long do you think it should last? Even paint starts to fail. Only electric signs I did that lasted were cut acrylic letters pinned to an acrylic face.