• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Trap vs. gap on 2 color lettering

surferkai

Hi everyone,
I've been searching this forum and maybe I'm just not using the right terms but I couldn't find help on this. I apologize in advance if this is redundant.

I am making some 2 color reflective lettering using Oracal 5600. It will be orange lettering with a black outline, pretty small (total size ~40in x 4 in). Should I trap the orange under the black outline (overlapping the edge of the orange with the black outline), or should I make a small gap between the orange and the black so they don't actually touch?

If making a trap of the orange under the black outline, what do you think would be the best, like 3/4 of the total width of the outline or just right in the middle?

What would you consider more durable? this is for an aircraft.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Dan360

I would do the outline first, all filled in rather than just the outline, and then center the orange on top. So there are no little lips, just a layer on top of a complete layer.

We usually just print when using 5600.

bannertime

There are only a few reasons why you wouldn't do a full outline behind the top color.

1. You're doing a translucent vinyl job in which you do like a 1/8" trap and lay colors accordingly.
  2. One of the materials has a much different life span. (i.e. a specialty florescent outline on regular black vinyl.) You'd do the same trap and overlay. If you did the florescent under the black, then you'd have to replace the black sooner than necessary. If that makes sense.
You're using the same amount of material either way. No need to over complicate it. Just do the full fill outline first and overlay with the second color.

I also don't know anything about doing installs onto aircraft specifically relating to layers of vinyl and all that. So maybe someone will chime in on that.

surferkai

I think I see what you're saying. I will go with that, and see how it turns out. Thanks, I appreciate your input and time!

Attachments

• upload_2018-7-10_15-16-42.png
    upload_2018-7-10_15-16-42.png
    23.3 KB · Views: 226
  • upload_2018-7-10_15-17-33.png
    upload_2018-7-10_15-17-33.png
    24.1 KB · Views: 231