• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Triangle Inks

Mainframe

Triangle approached me about using their inks in my VP 540, anyone have any experience with these inks? I guess the price is close to half the price of Roland inks I use now.

Snydo

5 plus years using Triangle on a JV33 Mimaki and aside from the initial slight color shift the stuff has been awesome. Make sure you get a bottle of the 'Flush' for your maintenance cleanings, it works very well.

Gene@mpls

Over 6 years in 2 different rolands (vp540 now) and no problems- love it.
Be prepared to make your own profiles tho.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
I will agree on profiles. Although I personally think that goes for any ink including OEM. You will NEVER get as good of a result with pre-made canned profiles over makign your own. The Triangle ink does have a wider gamut but using stock profiles just limits your range of color. We use an i1 and make all of our own custom profiles.

TheSnowman

I just popped my first two cartridges of it in my JV33. I ran the first set of OEM's that came with it, and now I'm just taking the warranty risk and going with the Triangle. Heard lots of good, and with the $1,000's I'll be saving, even if for some reason it causes my machine to explode, it'll be about worth the savings. For $61 a cartridge, you can't go wrong.

J

john1

I just popped my first two cartridges of it in my JV33. I ran the first set of OEM's that came with it, and now I'm just taking the warranty risk and going with the Triangle. Heard lots of good, and with the $1,000's I'll be saving, even if for some reason it causes my machine to explode, it'll be about worth the savings. For $61 a cartridge, you can't go wrong.

Eh idk, save $1000 or pay out a few thousand if it messes the machine up....I stick with OEM for as much as i print which isn't a ton.

Just like anything else, In the car world you have people running eBay parts and people running name brand parts. I just stick with OEM as it's exactly what my machine is made for and i haven't heard any horror stories

Gene@mpls

Incidentally- I am talking a bulk system with MLD inks- cmyk only. I have
not heard anything good about EDX.

BTW- john1... why would you toss out an opinion in a thread asking for
specific info on something you have no experience with?

TheSnowman

Eh idk, save $1000 or pay out a few thousand if it messes the machine up....I stick with OEM for as much as i print which isn't a ton.

Just like anything else, In the car world you have people running eBay parts and people running name brand parts. I just stick with OEM as it's exactly what my machine is made for and i haven't heard any horror stories

THOUSANDS, not $1,000. I ran Bordeaux inks in my JV3 for 5+ years till I sold it at 7 years old. Never put new heads in it, and only replaced two dampers. If that's aftermarket inks not working, then I'm sold on these pieces of junk!

I'm saving $544 each time I replace my ink set, which is about once every two months MINIMUM, so that's saving me over $3,200 a year there alone. It's about $2,300 for a print head...like I said, worth the "risk" that so far, doesn't hardly exist. At least not in my Mimaki's.

J

john1

Incidentally- I am talking a bulk system with MLD inks- cmyk only. I have
not heard anything good about EDX.

BTW- john1... why would you toss out an opinion in a thread asking for
specific info on something you have no experience with?

Stories about aftermarket inks messing up machines is experience enough to know i don't want to risk it. If it works, my hats off to you but there is no guarantee.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
You do realize that Mimaki, Roland, etc do not actually make ink themselves either. My truck came with Goodyear tires. Once those were used up I went with another brand, I do not use Delco air filters, spark plugs, etc either. Many of the aftermarket brands out there are just fine. I'd wager that some of the "horror" stories are also really nothing to do with the ink and was just cooincidental. That being said, yes, on a machine under warranty, if something does go wrong it will be finger pointing. Of course there can be a bad batch of ink as well from any company. I have personally firsthand dealt with bad OEM Mimaki ink that destroyed a printhead and ruined quite a lot of material. Mimaki recalled that lot of ink, paid for replacement parts, etc. I know Triangle and other ink companies have done the same as well. Personally, I will always use aftermarket ink. It's better than OEM, more durable, and a wider color gamut at about a 3rd the cost. Personally I also hope most do stick with OEM. I like having the competitive edge. :)

Gene@mpls

THOUSANDS, not $1,000. I ran Bordeaux inks in my JV3 for 5+ years till I sold it at 7 years old. Never put new heads in it, and only replaced two dampers. If that's aftermarket inks not working, then I'm sold on these pieces of junk!

I'm saving $544 each time I replace my ink set, which is about once every two months MINIMUM, so that's saving me over $3,200 a year there alone. It's about $2,300 for a print head...like I said, worth the "risk" that so far, doesn't hardly exist. At least not in my Mimaki's.

No heads here either- and I do 4 liters a month.

"Stories about aftermarket inks messing up machines is experience enough to know i don't want to risk it. If it works, my hats off to you but there is no guarantee. "

Stories are stories- experience is experience. The only guarantee you can
count on is at Target®.

J

john1

Yea yea. If someone tells you a story of a dog biting everyone, would you take that as enough experience to back away? I would think so.

eye4clr

Triangle is likely the most proven and trusted 3rd party ink on the market. I don't think the fear, uncertainty, and doubt that are promoted by dealers and manufacturers is justified for Triangle.

One of my installers was talking to an Avery product scientist about outgassing problems we're having. Of course part of that discussion what what inks we're using. His exact response was "Triangle is excellent ink".

Mainframe

Hey guys, thanks for all your input! This is exactly what I was looking for, I have 2 inside connections to the company that wants to sell me the inks and one is very close to me. In 4 years of owning the printer, I figured out I could easily buy 4 new heads with what I would have saved. I am not one to look back and worry about the past years but I am always open to saving on consumables any time I can.

Actually hearing from people who have used them and long term at that is very valuable info.
Although one poster reminds me of the people who warned me I would go under when I started a business full time in ,05 because they heard of that happening to others. I say point taken and understand that side of it too. (I still have yet to pop an aftermarket cart in my machine and John's post is pretty much been my thinking up to now)

I still have some thought on it to do and am leaning toward saving some money. There actually is a guarantee they are touting, they tell me anything the ink touches is covered by them if it fails, but I am sure there is a lot of wiggle room in that one since they and they alone are carrying the warrantee.

I will let you guys know if I switch and how it actually goes, long and short term.

Thanks, again

Couple more question about triangle, does the ink smell any different? Do I need to install a hood over this thing if I switch? Do you think the ink dries slower, faster or the same as oem, and how does it hold up to scratching? (I find oem to be ok, but not great at this one)

Gene@mpls

Couple more question about triangle, does the ink smell any different? Do I need to install a hood over this thing if I switch? Do you think the ink dries slower, faster or the same as oem, and how does it hold up to scratching? (I find oem to be ok, but not great at this one)

I can't smell it- I have an exhaust fan pulling air at the bottom of a wall beside the printer out of that room to the main area. I find it very durable- can take
a print still hot from the printer and spray with alc and rub with a paper towel
with *almost* no transfer. I have never used OEM ink so can't speak to drying
as a comparison- put have no problems either. Check my thread in tips and
tricks for my IR dryer setup. Gene