• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Trimless Channel Letter Fabrication

JohnnyInfamous

Hey all,

I've been a member for a while but have never dove into the forums until today. Everyone comes when they need assistance, right?

I'm trying to make some channel letters (see attached) that have no trimcap and have partially exposed acrylic returns. I think they're called trimless channel letters but maybe not? On the surface it looks like all I'd need to do is rout thick acrylic with a 1/4" (or so) lip to rest on the face of the letter can but there has to be more to it than that. I'm sure this would leave light leaks all over the place and I'm not convinced it would hold together with larger letters.

Is there a non-standard extrusion/coil that has to run through a specialty letter wrapper for this? Or is there something simple I'm missing?

This bid calls specifically for this type of channel letter and I don't want to quote it if I can't make it or find a good vendor!

Thanks in advance, I look forward to visiting more often and help others when I can!

-John

Attachments

• IMG_5846.jpg
    IMG_5846.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 2,293

MikePro

the acrylic you see is just the tip of the iceberg: its a thicker piece of acrylic, usually .5"+, who's perimeter is hogged-down when routed face-down on the table. like a tophat.

channel letter body formed per usual, acrylic "face" is then inserted & screw drilled into side to hold in place.

JohnnyInfamous

Thank you very much for your help! I assumed there would be more parts hidden in the internals but I tend to over-complicate things.