• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

trouble client. Wants art files back.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
We have a long standing client who has never understood why it takes the amount of time to produce specialty signs. Our turnaround after approval on layout is 3-5 business days. 95% of which is done in-house. This client has a history of showing up an hour before closing and demanding we get the signs produced by the next day. We jump through hoops for them to bang it out. Some years back they provided good quality raster image files to be used in various signage and/or vehicle wrap designs via an external hard drive. The client now wants the various layouts and take his business elsewhere. After explaining we're not going to do that, he at least wants the image files he gave back. That's fine but it will take time to research and get those files for which we have to charge. None of the files we in any kind of layout format. They were just various logos and such. Clients are free to go to whatever sign shop they want to get a cheaper price or quicker turnaround but you would have to start from the beginning all over again. Give them your files and they'll have to put the various layouts together. We've had many clients go "the cheaper" route only to come back to us for the quality AND turnaround time.

Are we in the wrong here?

Andy D

I don't think so, they sound like clients you probably should have fired already.
but.. if you want to leave the door open for them to come back.. then you need to do it in a
way they can save face...whatever that may be.

ExecuPrintGS

We store artwork for clients only for our convenience. We tell customers we do not store their artwork and archive it for them, that is not our job.
So if a customer is really being a piece of work, "sorry we don't have anything on file for you" :thumb:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
They should never give you.... and you should always advise not to give you..... their only files. They should give you a copy. There is no way we can save all the many files and graphics people give us, unless they request we do so. Most are deleted after a reasonable amount of time, unless they tell us they will be used again in the future. If they want them back, they should retrieve them immediately. Otherwise, they are toast.

Tell them you regret to tell them, most of their files no longer exist on your servers.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
Ha. Same client just called to place an order for two more decals! Same ones as we did last year. We're printing them now!

myront

CorelDRAW is best
... They should give you a copy.

That's what we did. Copy them from their HD to ours. I suspect this client who actually got the files from a third party designer was probably not nice to them either and now they're not willing to provide the files again.

skyhigh

Didn't you give them their external hard drive back, with all the image files still on there?

If they didn't save them, then that's their problem.

d fleming

Fired a pita customer last week. Still smiling from the look on his face. Always do it now, do it cheap, so and so can beat your price. See ya.

Andy D

Fired a pita customer last week. Still smiling from the look on his face. Always do it now, do it cheap, so and so can beat your price. See ya.

Isn't awesome? You can almost see their brain neurotransmitters misfiring when you tell them,
they literally can not wrap their brains around it.

CanuckSigns

Isn't awesome? You can almost see their brain neurotransmitters misfiring when you tell them,
they literally can not wrap their brains around it.

Yup, it's awesome, "what do you mean, what kind of business is this, turning away money!!?".

oksigns

It was because of a similar situation we placed a clause in with our proofs that unless specified in the brief and paid for, the customer is paying for essentially the end product, not entitled to our design files, and that we were not responsible for the curation of their art assets unless otherwise set up in an agreement or contract.

But we are trying to be nice. We give them maybe three inches more than they deserve and they expect a whole mile. I don't know what else you could have done, but I have learned to treat most of those customers as pets- Gotta train them and not let them learn they can always have their way.

2B

you handled the situation nicely.

we have been through this a couple of times and have since started the practice that any "customer supplied artwork" is placed in a dedicated and separate location so when they do demand their artwork. they can be given the files they brought in and you can do it without having to dig through your design files.

Jillbeans

I would charge them one hour's shop rate (mine is $75) and burn them onto a CD for them.
Then, once paid, give them the CD and tell them to stick it up their bum.
Love....Jill

gabagoo

The bullying tactics this customer uses would not end well here. NO FILES FOR YOU!!!! COME BACK 1 YEAR!!!

Silvertip

Silvertip Graphics Signs & Designs, Inc.
We store artwork for clients only for our convenience. We tell customers we do not store their artwork and archive it for them, that is not our job.
So if a customer is really being a piece of work, "sorry we don't have anything on file for you" :thumb:

I love this answer...I am going to write it down somewhere and keep it for that occasional PITA customer! Thanks