• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Trouble with vinyl bubbling on clear acrylic outdoors

SignPros

We did some small panels to slide into a reader board for a local fast-food franchise. They're both on 3/16 clear acrylic with printed/lam'd clear graphics backed with white translucent for their social media logos and then plain black cut vinyl for the outside. The breakfast one is translucent orange and regular black cut vinyl.

The black is Oracal 651. The social media logos are printed on General Formulations clear, double-strike on a Mutoh 1624, lam'd with Briteline optically clear. The print gassed for two days before we lam'd it. We cleaned the panel with RapicTac2, put the graphics on wet with the same RapidTac2, then they laid out for a day or so before we put them up. The first time, we did the graphics reversed, mounted on the inside of the panel. Everything started bubbling within a week. Like, bubbling out in the middle of the vinyl, not peeling on the edges. So we redid them and mounted everything on the OUTSIDE of the acrylic, thinking maybe the sun was somehow refracting through the panel and causing it. Same thing...within about a week or so, it's bubbling up. We've printed on the same material on multiple other faces, and had no issues. What could be different about this acrylic?

Thanks in advance
Follow Us on.jpg

mpn

Possibly some left over liquid trapped under the print? I've had this happen when I didn't get all of the wet app liquid out.