• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

True Block Shadow in Illustrator

advadv

I used to make true block shadows for lettering using FlexiSign Pro, which made a perfect offset and drop shadow. Now, I can't get Flexi running on my Mac, and they seem to have abandoned the Mac platform. Does anyone know of a way of making this type of drop shadow in Illustrator, other than manually drawing it? Perhaps a plug in...? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Joe

GoodPeopleFlags

Under Effects > Stylize is Drop Shadow. It's like a true shadow. If you want a solid type of shadow, you can copy and paste the image behind itself and move it manually. If you want a shadow with more of a perspective look, play around with the copy/paste kind in Effects > 3D. Not sure if I understood what type of shadow you're looking for. Maybe post an image.

advadv

Block shadow

Thanks for the reply and suggestions. It's called a block shadow in FlexiSign, and that's what I've always called this type of shadow. Rather than simply making a black copy of the type behind the type, this has a bit of an outline, plus a perspective shadow, with the angled pull-downs. Here is an example of one that I created in FlexiSign. There are a few ways of doing it in Illustrator, but all are clunky and add lots of unnecessary points. This us about the only function in Flexi that I ever use, and would be great to find another way to do it.

Joe

Attachments

• block shadow.png
    block shadow.png
    9.2 KB · Views: 298

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
It does not work that way in Illustrator. You do have to manually connect the shadow by adding lines and segments to give it the 3d extruded effect. It can be done using the 3d extrude filter in Illustrator but not if you want to cut it in vinyl as this method produces way too many shapes and points

W

wetgravy

make a thick outline, convert outline to an object, copy, paste, move copy to create the shadow, weld both outlines together, expand the apperance, break apart to remove all the inner b.s. and you should have a perfect outline and drop shadow.

same process for corel draw too, minus the expand appearance section.

advadv

Thanks Mike. That still creates a step or notch, not the pulled angle I'm looking for. I know it's pretty small in the file I posted. Here's a larger version.

Joe

Attachments

• block-shadow.png
    block-shadow.png
    30.8 KB · Views: 319

advadv

Thanks, Gravy. That's how I have been doing it. In Flexi, the block shadow effect creates a perfect shadow in 5 seconds. Then I export back to Illustrator and continue working. You can preview offset and distance. It's a perfect solution, but I can't get Flexi running, and they have been no help. Software keeps thinking it's in demo mode and won't allow the export. Very frustrating. Would love to dump Flexi if I could only find a utility for this shadow thing.

MikePro

Thanks Mike. That still creates a step or notch, not the pulled angle I'm looking for. I know it's pretty small in the file I posted. Here's a larger version.

Joe

kk, back at my computer... 3D > Extrude and Bevel and add an outline layer on top. Vector Doctor is right that its a pain when you go to production, as this creates a LOT of points/shapes.... but its manageable if you take the time to work on it afterwards with pathfinder.
extrude.jpg

saktrnch

So here's what I did. Select the font and type the word. I went with a 1 pt stroke. Brought out the appearance panel, and clicked on the fx at the bottom. Selected the warp, and arc. Then I went back to the fx and selected 3D> extrude and bevel. For the degrees on the right, I went with 4, 4, 0, and 50 pt extrude depth. Then click on more options and select the color of the drop shadow.

Attachments

• utility.jpg
    utility.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 216

signswi

Joe

Only takes a minute to draw in the little triangles (and then join in pathfinder) to create what you're calling a pulled angle...don't be afraid of getting dirty filters and effects only go so far. With the smart point snapping in CS4 and above it's super easy to make those little fills.

jimbug72

Here's how I do it in CS3:
3D extrude & bevel filter the way I want it with no shading.
Using the direct selection tool, I cut (rather than copy) the letters leaving behind the block shadow.
Selecting the shadow I ungroup (usually takes 2 ungroups) and then "add to selection" button in pathfinder palette and expand.
Next I paste in place the letters I cut, I then "subtract from shape area" pathfinder button and expand.
Then I paste the letters in place once more and voila!

A lot of steps, but for me much faster than trying to do it manually. Cuts cleanly w/o a bunch of points and everything lines up nice.