• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Trying to profile Epson S60600 using Onyx

nickt

I've been trying to make a new profile for the Epson S60600 but every attempt has been very heavy. I've tried adjusting the ink limits but that doesn't seem to change anything. The Onyx website is just about useless when trying to troubleshoot profile issues. I'm hoping someone can shed some light on the manner, thanks in advance.

FrankW

What do you mean with „adjusting the ink limits doesnt seem to change anything?“ What do you expect? How do you test it?

What Version of Onyx do you use?

unclebun

Have you looked at the section in Help about profiling? After you create the media and the mode, the next step is Ink Restrictions. This is where you set the parameters for how much ink gets laid down to prevent puddling and mottling. Ink limits don't come until after linearization, and are more of a fine tuning process.

nickt

What do you mean with „adjusting the ink limits doesnt seem to change anything?“ What do you expect? How do you test it?

What Version of Onyx do you use?
I figured what what the issue was. I wasn't setting up the profiles properly under 'Configure Printer'

I had made 3 profiles with different ink limit settings, that made a dramatic difference in the tone of the image. I'm very close with version 3, but we'll see what my superiors think.

mdjamesd

I'm guessing you're trying to profile the printer by eye and adjusting the ink limits. Get a spectrophotometer. I "profiled" the first S60 we got, and got it to print okay. When my boss finally caved and got an Xrite i1, I created 3 profiles in 1 day that print much more accurately than my profile ever would.

nickt

I'm guessing you're trying to profile the printer by eye and adjusting the ink limits. Get a spectrophotometer. I "profiled" the first S60 we got, and got it to print okay. When my boss finally caved and got an Xrite i1, I created 3 profiles in 1 day that print much more accurately than my profile ever would.
The ink limit step for Onyx is done by eye and the procedure isn't well documented in the software.

FrankW

The ink limit step for Onyx is done by eye and the procedure isn't well documented in the software.

Depends on the version. The last ones allow to set the ink limit by reading spectral values and set the limit to the position were the colour density doesnt increase anymore.

nickt

Depends on the version. The last ones allow to set the ink limit by reading spectral values and set the limit to the position were the colour density doesnt increase anymore.
That would be ideal, but I'm sure the upgrade won't be cheap.