• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Turning big ball finials on my wood lathe.

signmeup

I needed two 7.5" ball finials for a recent sign job. Couldn't find a source so I made my own. I glued up scraps of HDU with urethane glue. Then I cut a pattern out of thin plastic and had at it. I haven't turned anything in a couple of years so it was a bit of good fun for me... except for the dust. Man is HDU dusty! Hence the mask. It cuts like cheese though.

Now I gotta clean up the shop.

Attachments

• Finials4.jpg
    Finials4.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 113
  • Turning.jpg
    Turning.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 77

SignManiac

Adrian I think they came out perfect! You might consider making an assortment of larger sizes and marketing them online. I bet many others could use them.

GypsyGraphics

ummm.... ummm... i i i like that first pic and ummm...
-
-
-
i'm a little tongue tied
-
-
-
-
so ummm....

:U Rock: :thankyou:

don't clean up the shop, i like it messy!

GypsyGraphics

ok, i just needed a moment to collect myself. so what i was going to say was...

those turned out really nice Adrain!

love seeing both the finished finials and the turning pic

especially the turning pic. ya know, looking at it again, not that i looked more than once but... is it just me, or does that look like a good opening scene for a a a ... oh never mind.

GypsyGraphics

focus, focus... you can do this

Adrina, did you make that lathe bench yourself? it's really nice!

good girl... short, concise, complimentary, no innuendo... yeah me!

signmeup

Yes GG, I did make the lathe... about 25 years ago when I was a chairmaker. I've turned many hundreds of parts on that old lathe. Here is a better picture of it. It is mostly made of Red Oak. It knocks down for storage or transport by tapping out the wedges in the ends of the ways.

Very quiet in operation. A real pleasure to use.

Attachments

• Lathe.jpg
    Lathe.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 81