• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Type manager for Win 10

signbrad

I know the subject of type managers has been discussed before.
But now that we all have got Windows 10 at our shop, I'm looking for something that might be better than what I had before.
I'm looking specifically to print a booklet showing groupings of categories.

What do you like and why?

Brad in Kansas City

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
I currently use Corel's Font Manager application (formerly Bitstream Font Navigator). Some of its functions are built into later versions of CorelDRAW. The thing I like about it is I can access a pretty big collection of fonts without having to install them. That makes it possible to just install frequently used fonts which improves OS performance a bit. The downside is when you're skimming through a big collection of fonts in CorelDRAW's font menu it can really slow down the application. Most of the time I have the font list filtered to only fonts installed into the OS.

Adobe Fonts (formerly Typekit) obviously is a separate thing for Creative Cloud. But any fonts installed through the service will show up in any application installed in the OS. It's easy to browse fonts and activate/deactivate fonts. There's no limit on the amount of fonts one can sync, but it's still a good idea to deactivate fonts not currently being used.

As for printing booklets showing font categories, these programs don't really do any of that. A long time ago I created a fonts booklet for customers in an attempt to inform them about type categories. YMMV, but the information often did more to confuse customers and even create problems. Putting it bluntly, most people don't know squat about type. Do they really need to be picking out the fonts for a project? Unless the client is providing some already designed artwork it's really more my job to pick typefaces appropriate for the situation.