• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Typical safety codes for large interior acrylic displays with stand-offs?

Andy D

I know codes vary all over the country, so I'm wondering what codes some of you have come across for large acrylic displays & regardless of codes, if you think it's wise...
At other sign shops I have worked at, we wouldn't provide large acrylic displays with stand-offs, it had to be at least 1/2" thick or polycarbonate.
The engineer is calling for 3/16" acrylic with 1.5" stand-offs, it will be three pieces around 5' x 6' stacked
on top of each other, so 6' wide x 15' tall.

These will be interior & I don't know yet how far off the ground they will be mounted.

Thoughts?

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
As StarSign said, I haven't seen anything either.
I'd have to imagine something that size and that thickness is going to break at some point, though, from flexing- unless the engineer actually though to include a center support?

gnubler

I'm also currently working on an interior display with standoffs and there are no codes. But then this is Idaho, where pretty much anything goes.

SignEST

I know codes vary all over the country, so I'm wondering what codes some of you have come across for large acrylic displays & regardless of codes, if you think it's wise...
At other sign shops I have worked at, we wouldn't provide large acrylic displays with stand-offs, it had to be at least 1/2" thick or polycarbonate.
The engineer is calling for 3/16" acrylic with 1.5" stand-offs, it will be three pieces around 5' x 6' stacked
on top of each other, so 6' wide x 15' tall.

These will be interior & I don't know yet how far off the ground they will be mounted.

Thoughts?
5'x6' for 3/16 acrylic should be fine so long there's 6 standoffs.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
There are no codes that I've ever heard of. The only code you're even remotely coming close to is for a sign/object that falls between 27" clearance and 80" clearance, in which case it cannot extend more than 4" from the wall. But you're less than half of that, so that wouldn't affect you.