• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Unconditioned Space - Okay or Not?

catldavis

Anyone using his/her solvent printers/cutters in an unconditioned (no heating/air conditioning) space? If so, how do you overcome the issues (especially humidity) it presents?

shoresigns

Well ideally the way to overcome those issues is with a heater/air conditioning/humidifier/de-humidifier. In the meantime while you're saving up for those, try slowing down your print speed if it's cold in the room, and for humidity/static issues, try draping tinsel or dryer sheets over your media as it feeds into the printer.

catldavis

Thanks for the reply shoresigns. I guess my concern is more relating to if the cold or heat will damage the equipment. I mean, can you put a solvent printer in an unconditioned space and it not harm the electronics or settings of the printer? How durable are these printers?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I imagine down in Florida, you might not need heating at all. What's the coldest it's gonna get and what's the warmest you expect ?? How much humidity do you anticipate ?? If you don't have a climate controlled area, it's not the end of the world, but we need to know more than something is unconditioned. That merely means you have walls, windows and a roof.

Is this in a garage ??
Is this in a house ??
Is this in a warehouse ??
Is this in a shop somewhere ??
Is it carpeted ??
Are the walls/roof insulated ??
Do you have adequate ventilation ??

Believe it or not, these items will help us help you. Your real estate can help tremendously by building another barrier of enclosed area or any number of things.

catldavis

Thanks Gino, please see answers below:

I imagine down in Florida, you might not need heating at all. What's the coldest it's gonna get and what's the warmest you expect ?? Coldest would be 30 degrees and warmest would be 98 degrees. How much humidity do you anticipate ?? Average humidity will be 60% with some days in the summer at 92% If you don't have a climate controlled area, it's not the end of the world, but we need to know more than something is unconditioned. That merely means you have walls, windows and a roof.

Is this in a garage ?? Yes
Is this in a house ??
Is this in a warehouse ??
Is this in a shop somewhere ??
Is it carpeted ?? Not currently but could be, currently concrete
Are the walls/roof insulated ?? Yes, R30 roof and R19 walls
Do you have adequate ventilation ?? Yes, it will be well ventilated as it has a garage door that can be opened.

Believe it or not, these items will help us help you. Your real estate can help tremendously by building another barrier of enclosed area or any number of things.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If this is just a garage, put a window unit in it and you'll take care of 2/3 of your problems. The nights it hits 30º, let it warm up the next day before using. Rugs add static, so just paint the floor to keep dust bunnies from forming.

You don't wanna use a garage door for ventilation, you'll let bugs, dirt, birds and all kinds of other contaminants in which will be harmful to your prints. Knock a hole in the wall and put a strong exhaust unit in it.

netsol

screen for garage door

gino is right, but i believe you can get a garage door width screen with magnetic catches from harbor freight. (i don't think they discontinued it.

if you keep the bugs and dust out the area should be suitable.

92 degrees will not be a problem for your computer equipment, not ideal but ok.

a window ac would not be a bad investment
If this is just a garage, put a window unit in it and you'll take care of 2/3 of your problems. The nights it hits 30º, let it warm up the next day before using. Rugs add static, so just paint the floor to keep dust bunnies from forming.

You don't wanna use a garage door for ventilation, you'll let bugs, dirt, birds and all kinds of other contaminants in which will be harmful to your prints. Knock a hole in the wall and put a strong exhaust unit in it.

rjssigns

IMO: While you can get away with it I wouldn't recommend it. Temperature and humidity fluctuation will introduce a large set of uncontrolled variables. Everything from print quality to media buckling because the liner is absorbing moisture. Read the manual that comes with your equipment. Somewhere in there ideal temp/humidity should be called out.

Running a shop gives you enough issues to deal with on a daily basis. No need to create more.

CanuckSigns

If possible, create a separate room for the printer and media, get a large window or portable a/c unit to look after cooling, and a small electric heater for the winter.

Our shop isn't air conditioned, but we have a small window a/c and it helps a lot.

catldavis

Thank you everyone for your input. If I'm reading the comments correctly, it's permissible to not condition the space but it would be preferable to condition the room with at least a small air conditioner (for temperature and humidity).

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Let's put it this way.....

You're a student, not doing this full time and you say you have ZERO experience, so this is not your livelihood. Things will take getting used to, but if you are doing this as a hobby and just wanna know how to protect your investment, how can we take you serious, if you wanna stick it, in a garage ?? There's a myriad of things you should do, but it doesn't appear you will do any of them, like build a climate controlled room, knock holes in the walls or put in filtration systems. You haven't mentioned how large/small this garage is. Is it connected to the house ?? Do you have room for a laminator, work benches and a computer station ??

If you were actually starting a business, you'd be putting a business plan together and that would include the necessities to help your environment. You always wanna preserve or secure your core interests, but you need to heed good advice and put your eyes back in their sockets. Think this thing through, before you go off willie-nillie and not have everything you need and just wing it..... or there will be a printer for sale come this spring from Florida

catldavis

Let's put it this way.....

You're a student, not doing this full time and you say you have ZERO experience, so this is not your livelihood. Things will take getting used to, but if you are doing this as a hobby and just wanna know how to protect your investment, how can we take you serious, if you wanna stick it, in a garage ?? There's a myriad of things you should do, but it doesn't appear you will do any of them, like build a climate controlled room, knock holes in the walls or put in filtration systems. You haven't mentioned how large/small this garage is. Is it connected to the house ?? Do you have room for a laminator, work benches and a computer station ??

If you were actually starting a business, you'd be putting a business plan together and that would include the necessities to help your environment. You always wanna preserve or secure your core interests, but you need to heed good advice and put your eyes back in their sockets. Think this thing through, before you go off willie-nillie and not have everything you need and just wing it..... or there will be a printer for sale come this spring from Florida

I have no idea what you are talking about. I asked what I thought was a simple question, "Is anyone using his/her printer in an unconditioned space and if so, how do you overcome the related issues?" and somehow the question has morphed in to a discussion about business plans and not taking my question seriously.

I understand the best way to start a business and the best way to set up a shop. I wanted to simply know what time it is, not how to build a watch.

Marlene

the simple answer is to set up the equipment as the manufacture says to. if you don't have what is needed like AC and filtation, then you need to do that. why try to do a work around and do it all wrong?

equippaint

The humidity in summer will be a pain. I weed and mask in the A/C but I laminate in my shop which doesnt have a/c. In my experience, the laminate backing paper gets wrinkled on the loose end but once a its unrolled a little its fine. The vinyl has a tendency to do the same (not quite as bad) when we have it laid out to install if its really humid like after a rain storm. Its probably possible but not ideal and without knowing anything on your situation Id venture to say that your area will be difficult to control dust which will be a bigger problem. If you do it, Id recommend unloading the printer and rolling the vinyl tight after each run so the liner's not as exposed to the air for a lot of time. Swelled up media will end up causing head strikes.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I have no idea what you are talking about. I asked what I thought was a simple question, "Is anyone using his/her printer in an unconditioned space and if so, how do you overcome the related issues?" and somehow the question has morphed in to a discussion about business plans and not taking my question seriously.

I understand the best way to start a business and the best way to set up a shop. I wanted to simply know what time it is, not how to build a watch.

Well, if you have no idea of what I'm talking about, then you're in a bigger mess than I thought.

It's very easy to ask a simple question and then move on, but as people read over a thread time and time again, others chime in and say something which triggers something else and before you know it, you have a whole slew of things answered, you didn't even ask about. If you wanna cop an altitude about not knowing something, so be it, but it's gonna happen in business and regular life, so just be prepared to talk about things you might not have been prepared for.

As for this thread, you are simply asking about 3 or 4 different things in the same question. Your size/space can alter things.... as can your other machinery and work stations, but you don't mention them. However, you get your panties all bunched up because someone asks or points something out. Too bad, huh ?? Have you thought about these other things ?? Maybe you should, because they might be more finicky in certain 'unconditioned' areas than your printer. Nothing morphed, you just omitted parts of the story and we're trying to fill in the voids.

As for taking you seriously.... I did at first, but not anymore. Not after your latest outburst. What time is it...... you don't really care. You're just deflecting a pity party.

catldavis

I guess I'm just not making myself clear. I understand what the manufacturer recommends. The manufacturer also recommends that I use their ink carts but as we all know, plenty of people are using aftermarket refillable carts with another source for ink. There are a multitude of manufacturer recommendations that we all know aren't followed. I'm simply asking if anyone has successfully......nevermind.......

catldavis

The humidity in summer will be a pain. I weed and mask in the A/C but I laminate in my shop which doesnt have a/c. In my experience, the laminate backing paper gets wrinkled on the loose end but once a its unrolled a little its fine. The vinyl has a tendency to do the same (not quite as bad) when we have it laid out to install if its really humid like after a rain storm. Its probably possible but not ideal and without knowing anything on your situation Id venture to say that your area will be difficult to control dust which will be a bigger problem. If you do it, Id recommend unloading the printer and rolling the vinyl tight after each run so the liner's not as exposed to the air for a lot of time. Swelled up media will end up causing head strikes.

Thank you, very good information.

Andy_warp

The dirt and dust getting tracked in is what I would be concerned about. Be careful when sweeping and blowing air around. We have a coating of dust on our production machine after only a day or two of sitting. I wipe down all the surfaces the carriage...(and more importantly) the printheads will move over. I do this before even turning the machine on. I also cover the machine with a drop cloth if I am doing anything that will move dust around.

We print on dye sub paper in Seattle...humidity is a nightmare, since the paper is made to sponge our aqueous ink. I had all sorts of problems until I started wrapping my paper in cling wrap. I mean within minutes of printing. If you control your process, and your materials...an uncontrolled environment is doable.

I've been printing for 20 years, and am the "manager" at my shop...but I clean clean clean. The more often I do it, the less problems are apt to occur.

Another key is to have ink flow through the machine...every day. You're not saving yourself money by saving ink...in the process you'll destroy your printheads.
It's like a car...it wants to run, the more it sits, the worse off you are.

Good luck!

catldavis

The dirt and dust getting tracked in is what I would be concerned about. Be careful when sweeping and blowing air around. We have a coating of dust on our production machine after only a day or two of sitting. I wipe down all the surfaces the carriage...(and more importantly) the printheads will move over. I do this before even turning the machine on. I also cover the machine with a drop cloth if I am doing anything that will move dust around.

We print on dye sub paper in Seattle...humidity is a nightmare, since the paper is made to sponge our aqueous ink. I had all sorts of problems until I started wrapping my paper in cling wrap. I mean within minutes of printing. If you control your process, and your materials...an uncontrolled environment is doable.

I've been printing for 20 years, and am the "manager" at my shop...but I clean clean clean. The more often I do it, the less problems are apt to occur.

Another key is to have ink flow through the machine...every day. You're not saving yourself money by saving ink...in the process you'll destroy your printheads.
It's like a car...it wants to run, the more it sits, the worse off you are.

Good luck!

Perfect, now that's information I can use! Excellent insight in to the process of working in an unconditioned workspace.