• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

"Unexpected end of job"

HulkSmash

**** YOU HP!!

ah, ok i feel better now.

(anyone ever get this random error while printing and it just cancels all ur jobs)

Lane J

Yup!
Only a few times though, maybe 5 times in the last couple of years. Annoying, but I haven't had that happen yet this year. I don't know what causes it.
I usually get "Onyx is not Responding" far more often. That one really chaps my buns.

HulkSmash

Yup!
Only a few times though, maybe 5 times in the last couple of years. Annoying, but I haven't had that happen yet this year. I don't know what causes it.
I usually get "Onyx is not Responding" far more often. That one really chaps my buns.

It doesn't even give me a reason. Just "unexpected end of job" and usually its like at the end of a 10 ft panel on the most expensive material....

flyplainsdrifta

yeahhhhh. just the worst. did that with a full roll of material a quarter of the way thru a 164' roll. job was due by 1 pm the next day. that stuff just kills me sometimes. i wish i had two of them sometimes just so i can get the happiness of being able to smash one to bits and then still get work out :D

WildWestDesigns

I've had this problem like everybody else, at the worst possible time. My best guess was the pandora/spotify/whatever music streaming service had tied up the router between the printer and the computer.

I would say that it is more then likely this. Or something that is hindering all the communication between the computer and the printer (just in general tying up the router).

If it wasn't someone streaming music, I'd chalk it up to windows update hogging all the bandwidth or the antivirus doing a poorly scheduled scan and bottlenecking at the hdd.

I'm a firm believer of keeping production equipment off the WAN period. That would actually preclude a lot of issues that people have problems with (both in terms of what has been mentioned and some of the more malicious issues that haven't been). LAN activity doesn't tend to be as intensive as well with regard to latency (for obvious reasons).

Keep production rigs of the WAN and it's amazing how many problems actually go away that people have. Not all mind you, but by far the more common ones just seem to go away.

HandsomeBob

UNEXPECTED ERROR means that the programmers for your software were: A. too lazy B. inexperienced or uneducated or C. Rushed - - to trap the error that shut down your job. Trapping the error means that there is a routine in the software that catches the errors (something as simple as one pixel that has a value out of the printable range can destroy the job) and changes the values into something that the printer can handle. Rare errors are frustrating because there is no tracking (again a reporting routine could be in the software but isn't) but consider this = = 20,000 machines with one "rare" error every six months that ruins 10 feet of material is almost 76 MILES OF MATERIAL EVERY YEAR.

Yes, it is - 20,000 machines x twice per year 2 x 10 feet / 5,280 feet for a mile is 75.75 miles.

I'm gonna shut down my shop and start selling media!!!