• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Unlimited zoom out in Corel 2020?

Andy D

I used to design and proof scale down, but for many reasons (I would rather not to explain), now I prefer to design at 1:1 scale.
Seems like Corel used to have an unlimited zoom, when zooming out & even in Corel 2016 I could zoom out as far as I like if I held the shift key.
It seems like they removed that feature in 2020 and I find it annoying as F***!
Is there a work around?

unclebun

I found the zoom out only stopped at a point where the layout was a tiny speck in the middle of my screen. What would be the point of zooming out further than that? I use the scroll wheel to zoom out.

Andy D

I found the zoom out only stopped at a point where the layout was a tiny speck in the middle of my screen. What would be the point of zooming out further than that? I use the scroll wheel to zoom out.
When I zoom all the way out at 1:1 it stops at 84' tall x 136' wide, I have projects larger than that.

unclebun

I guess I've never made a sign that big. I checked, and it does exceed the boundaries of the zoom if you go that big. I have Corel Draw all the way back to X6 on this computer, and it's been the same all the way back that far. Looks like it's by design.

WildWestDesigns

Your always going to have limits, be it via zoom, artboard, undoes etc. I have yet to see anything that was truly unlimited. You'll start to get something, either it will stop or may get "artifacts", something will be going on.

Now, zooming limitations could have changed from one version to the next, that's entirely possible.

My DRAW experience goes from X5 to X8, so I couldn't confirm anything beyond those as to any limitations or lack thereof for 2016 and newer.

Andy D

Okay, thanks for the input..
I guess I've never made a sign that big.

I don't work on signs that big either :), but there has been several times I have worked on large projects with many signs & need to proof them together, for example;
I had (7) 26' x 26' banners and I grabbed and moved a bunch of object to the side, half way out of the max zoom-out box and it took forever to select them & move them back in.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Andy D said:
Seems like Corel used to have an unlimited zoom, when zooming out & even in Corel 2016 I could zoom out as far as I like if I held the shift key.

CorelDRAW has never had unlimited zoom-out (or zoom-in for that matter). No vector drawing application has such a thing; all have limits.

For the longest time the maximum art board size in CorelDRAW has been 1800" X 1800". That's the "drawing space" limit. And the maximum zoom-out level can barely contain it. I design lots of things at full size within CorelDRAW. But when "page" sizes get above 1000" in either x or y direction that application's zoom behavior gets unstable. You'll often see a pop-up warning box saying "This zoom has exceeded the boundaries of the drawing space. Your window will be adjusted accordingly." The pop-up can be disabled by clicking the "Do not show this message again" check box. But the zoom-out behavior will still act odd.

Generally speaking if I have really large element such as a duplication of a store front or anything else getting near or over 100' feet in length I start dropping things down in scale, such as 50% of actual size or even 10%. Obviously glaring notes are included in the artwork warning of the scale.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I guess I've never made a sign that big. I checked, and it does exceed the boundaries of the zoom if you go that big. I have Corel Draw all the way back to X6 on this computer, and it's been the same all the way back that far. Looks like it's by design.
If you zoom back far enough to see the event horizon bad things will happen in this universe.

unclebun

Okay, thanks for the input..

I don't work on signs that big either :), but there has been several times I have worked on large projects with many signs & need to proof them together, for example;
I had (7) 26' x 26' banners and I grabbed and moved a bunch of object to the side, half way out of the max zoom-out box and it took forever to select them & move them back in.

If I'm creating a proof like that, I typically make the items smaller so they can be printed on an 8.5x11 piece of paper. If you try to print a big layout, Corel Draw crashes after spinning an hourglass for 10 minutes.

Andy D

CorelDRAW has never had unlimited zoom-out (or zoom-in for that matter). No vector drawing application has such a thing; all have limits.
I'm sure you're right about Corel, but one of my early on vector sign design programs "Inspire" could zoom out indefinitely & I don't remember any issues caused by that.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Andy D said:
I'm sure you're right about Corel, but one of my early on vector sign design programs "Inspire" could zoom out indefinitely & I don't remember any issues caused by that.

I never used Inspire. I used its fore-runner, CASmate for several years. Our shop wasn't very interested in upgrading to Inspire. Not long after Inspire was developed Amiable Technologies and Scanvec merged to create Scanvec-Amiable (later SAi). We ended up switching our CASmate dongles to Flexi. Now our Flexi licenses are getting long in the tooth and the new subscription arrangement SAi is pitching doesn't look so attractive.

Anyway, both CASmate and Flexi could zoom way in and out. But they didn't do so on an infinite level. With really large art boards, around 200' wide, both applications could get unstable (especially CASmate). Accuracy could also take a hit (again this was more pronounced with CASmate).

Every vector graphics application has its sweet spot of layout size where it works best. Applications like Adobe Illustrator and CorelDRAW were tailored for the printed page. Sign making applications are tuned for larger sizes. However I still use Illustrator and CorelDRAW for my full size sign design work due to advantages they have, such as superior type handling.

Big Rice Field

Electrical/Architectural Sign Designer
I never used Inspire. I used its fore-runner, CASmate for several years. Our shop wasn't very interested in upgrading to Inspire. Not long after Inspire was developed Amiable Technologies and Scanvec merged to create Scanvec-Amiable (later SAi). We ended up switching our CASmate dongles to Flexi. Now our Flexi licenses are getting long in the tooth and the new subscription arrangement SAi is pitching doesn't look so attractive.

Anyway, both CASmate and Flexi could zoom way in and out. But they didn't do so on an infinite level. With really large art boards, around 200' wide, both applications could get unstable (especially CASmate). Accuracy could also take a hit (again this was more pronounced with CASmate).

Every vector graphics application has its sweet spot of layout size where it works best. Applications like Adobe Illustrator and CorelDRAW were tailored for the printed page. Sign making applications are tuned for larger sizes. However I still use Illustrator and CorelDRAW for my full size sign design work due to advantages they have, such as superior type handling.
CASMate was a good product. It worked well with Corel Draw.