• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Unusual Behavior with Large Prints (DC4sx) and workaround

garisimo

Hi all -- just wanted to point out an oddity I discovered recently when printing a job on our DC4sx. The lcd screen on the printer normally shows between 26.3" and 26.5" as the print width for a 30" roll of vinyl. However, if all four of the following conditions are met:

-- print document width is wider than 25.xx (not sure exactly what xx is, around .4) but does not exceed the lcd print width indicated
-- includes the color black saved as a spot color instead of process*
-- has cutting instructions (contour, flexcut)
-- OptiTrac is set to Cyan

The job will print one pass, neglect to print the right-most OptiTrac mark, and stop printing (error on the lcd screen of the printer indicating OT cannot be found).

If you change the OT color in the printer menu to black (or even another ribbon that OT can see) it will print and cut fine. If you remove the cutting instructions (Contour, FlexCut), it will print fine. If you reduce the print width to 25.3" or less it will print and cut fine.

I don't have a DC4, so I don't know if a similar problem exists on it.

My workaround, as indicated above, is to have the OT color black instead of cyan. The only downside is that previously if cyan was the OT and it wasn't in the print colors black would be selected automatically. The reverse is not true -- with black selected as the OT the printer always uses black for the OT, even if cyan is in the print and black is not.

Cheers!

-g-

*the reason I make black a spot color (rather than a process color) in my documents is b/c the majority of prints we produce are spot color prints -- black only, red and black, black and blue.

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
Hi Garisimo,

This seems like an unusual error. It sounds to me like the device is having a tough time finding just the cyan markers. What type of material is it that you are printing on?

Also, have you spoken with Summa technical support yet regarding this issue?

Regards,

Phil Johnson
Summa Inc.

garisimo

Hi Garisimo,

This seems like an unusual error. It sounds to me like the device is having a tough time finding just the cyan markers. What type of material is it that you are printing on?.

Actually, when the conditions are as described above, the printer uses black as the OT markers (even though cyan is selected). And it will print the left-most marker, but will not the right-most marker. This doesn't have anything to do with the material (we're printing on 30" white or clear; happens on either).

Also, have you spoken with Summa technical support yet regarding this issue?

Yes, at length -- they have been very helpful in working with me on this issue, and ultimately have said that it is a firmware bug. My primary reason for posting this message is to let others know who may be having similar issues.

Cheers!

-g-