• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Upgrading Flexi 8.6

Charlie J

I've been a flexi user for a long time. Since 2005 I think? Crazy to think I've been in the game for over a decade. Flexi was the first design software I ever used. I've since learned illustrator and it's now my design program of choice.

Anyways, I'm buying a new printer next week. A Roland RF-640. My current version of flexi wil not support this machine. I would prefer to run this machine with flexi. In order to do so, I will have to upgrade. Current cost of the upgrade from version. 8.6 to whatever the current version is will be about $1400. I find that kind of annoying.

Couldn't flexi release an update for the new printers without requiring customers to upgrade?

No I don't want your cloud software for $50 per month. I've already paid for my software that works perfectly. Over $4k invested so far.

No I don't want to use versaworks. I have a Graphtec cutter that I used to cut my print files. Can I print graphtec crop marks from versaworks?

Is my only option to spend the $1400 and upgrade? Not much has changed from my curent version of the software to the new version.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
I prefer Flexi, too, for the uses you listed. Unless you know programming, though (or know someone who does), you're S.O.L. unless you upgrade.
I agree that it sucks to shell out more after spending the money already, but think of it this way: If you paid $4000 for a car in 2009 (about the time that version of Flexi was released) and drove it for about six years before needing to replace it- you've gotten a pretty good return on investment. Like any tool, it's occasionally going to need replacement. And, as many problems as I've had with SAI over the years, I can't fault them for wanting to make money. (Though, for the record, I think they should ditch the whole "subscription" plan- just as Adobe should. At least you can still buy a copy Flexi to own, ​instead of rent.)
The company I work for was fortunate enough not to have to upgrade, but we chose to. There are more useful features than just the drivers you need for the printer you want. My .02, of course.
As far as Versaworks printing Graphtec cut marks, I can't say, as I'm not familiar enough with it. If you can't find it here, email Roland and ask. If you're buying (or considering) their product, they should be able to help you.

Gene@mpls

I am still on Flexi Pro 5.7 and use that and Versaworks... and Vw will not do reg for other brands. I would consider
trying Flexi on subscription - it is month to month. I previously had Wasatch and they could not get it to work with
my VP Roland- I am well pleased with VW but switching is h!llish I know. I am setting up a RF now [well actually I
am in the Keys]- hard to find anyone stateside who knows much about them... we need a support group. Check
the Japan site for more profiles. Gene

player

Do you really need flexi print that badly? Versaworks and Illustrator (as well as Flexi 8.6) work pretty good together. Very easy to learn VW, and save $$$...

Charlie J

Short answer is yes. It will save me a lot of time in being able to open all my old files and print them. Honestly the time savings will justify spending the extra money to upgrade. But that doesn't mean I'm going to stop whining.

Drip Dry

Anyways, I'm buying a new printer next week. A Roland RF-640. My current version of flexi wil not support this machine. I would prefer to run this machine with flexi. In order to do so, I will have to upgrade. Current cost of the upgrade from version. 8.6 to whatever the current version is will be about $1400. I find that kind of annoying.

Is my only option to spend the $1400 and upgrade? Not much has changed from my curent version of the software to the new version.

Are you sure about this price. I upgraded from Flexi 8 to the latest version in January. I'm pretty sure it was 675.00
Bobby Fossen - CS Sign supply.. a merchant member here.

CS-SignSupply

No issues here. Sounds like you have enough on your plate for abit.

Call me if you have questions as I am running the Flora all day today and tomorrow.

Techman

I just got signlab print and cut 9.1 for $750 bux..

I would watch the Signlab site a lot because they could / likely run that special again.

player

I just got signlab print and cut 9.1 for $750 bux..

I would watch the Signlab site a lot because they could / likely run that special again.

I bought it too.

They advertise it can open or import Flexi files, but after I got it and looked it only imports Flexi V5.7 files. (V5.7 is from memory, but it is really a really old, obsolete version it imports.) Total BS on Signlab's end.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
You don't need Versaworks or Flexi's crop marks - you can set them from Illustrator using the Cutting Master plug-in from the Graphtec.
Set up your file to print - add the crops in Illy, print in Versaworks, cut the contour paths from Cutting master.

I set my print files up with crop marks in either Corel or Illustrator and then send the files to Flexi 8.6 production Manager to print.
Load the prints into the cutter and cut from the original Corel or Illy file. It is dead simple.
You also have more flexibility with making changes to the contour cut file even after the layout has been printed. At times I've had to break long step and repeat plots down into smaller sections to increase accuracy.
I don't have to worry about flexi dropping the link between the print & plot files it generates, both are still in the working source file.
I also skip most of the Flexi eps import errors by keeping the main app closed and dropping the files directly into the production manager

wayne k
guam usa

mrugen

Plan for Upgrades

Not much has changed from my curent version of the software to the new version.

1) It has the driver you need & 100's more for others.
2) Works even better with VersaWorks.
3) Import filters updated to CS6, etc etc.
4) Can open all your old files.
5) At least a dozen new features, like banner grommet marker placement, etc.
6) Much more stable, fewer crashes and bugs.
7) Will work well with current windows. V8 is not as stable.

Its not 2005 anymore. I agree it's not fun to pay for upgrades, but software sales is what keeps them in business. They don't sell hardware like Roland, or inks or anything but software. A good programmer costs $75 to $100 per hour to hire. Ask some one to make a ICC profile for you and you'll be shocked at the price. I know I'll get slammed on this board for defending them, but it's just business and we all have to accept that. Flexi, as you know, is a great solution for running your production business. I suggest that from this time on, those who use it or ANY software they depend on for making money, set aside money each month for upgrades. Start a savings account for upgrades, put $25 or more in it each month. It's just good business practice to plan for this kind of stuff.

Resellers like Bobby are great for making offers to this community, I'd take him up on it so he can continue to do this.

John L

6) Much more stable, fewer crashes and bugs.

You should take this one off your list. Even if it were true, it's not a good reason to hand over your money again.
This is right on par with having to pay for technical support.. another one-sided, P-on-the-customer concept.

mrugen

#6: Yes, perhaps this should not be on there since its really the responsibility of the software maker to keep its software stable. However, I was referring to the improvements in stability that come with new versions of software as part of the reason to upgrade, not that this was a sole reason to upgrade. While "bugs and stability" are what we see, there are other improvements made that we perhaps do not really see. As software ages and new versions are released, there may be things like better use of memory, speed in loading and other improvements that are not necessarily made public but from which we benefit.

You make a good point, thanks.

skasigns

We're in the same boat. We've been using Flexi 8.1 for several years. We're upgrading our PC. I sent SA International an email asking if I could use my Flexi with a newer version of Windows. They said I couldn't and would have to pay $1395 for Flexi 11. I'm not happy about it either. I wouldn't mind paying for an upgrade, but don't want to have to buy the program a 2nd time.