• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Upgrading from VS540i to Truevis VG-54

Looking for some newer reviews on the Truevis VG. Most of the reviews I have read weren't so good.... I have had my Versacamm Vs-540i for little over 4 years now and haven't had any problems with it. Looking to either sell my VS and get a VG or just keep the VS.

Just looking for some pros and cons of the VG.

Thanks!

For FOX SAKE don't get the Truevis. I had the SG and it came with at least 3 different problems. +no takeup/900dpi vs 1440/no nozzle recovery/expensive ink. I have a mimaki now and the fact that it doesn't lick itself on startup makes a big difference already.

tim99

guess the big question is why switch if you dont need to..

we have the VG540 CMYKx2 for a little over a year now and have had 3 service calls due to sensors in the dampers.
other than that we really like the VG. maintenance is easy. it does anything we ask it to. some will say it consumes more ink than previous models. I really haven't noticed a difference on print usage. but this machine does clean a lot compared to older models.

my suggestion is if your not having any issues stick with the VS for a while longer.

Gene@mpls

We have had a RF-640 [ same as VS except no cut and 2x CMYK] for 3+ years with no problems. If [when] the RF is discontinued I will buy another one. Truevis makes me queasy from what I have read.

shadi75

owner
Take a look at the roland website, the truvevis 54" vg is on sale now for 17995 USD and the vs-300i is also on sale for 14995 USD. It seams to me there 54" version of the vs would be the same price. I been looking to upgrade my roland vp thats on its last leg. I read a lot and it seams the truevis has lots of issues , roland has been stepping up and fixing lots of the issues but still. The ability to laminate right after i print is the one of the main reasons i m thinking of the truevis i do lots of wraps. Also the truevis inks are suppose to be safer .

If your vs-540i is working great and you don't need to upgrade i would say wait for roland to improve the truevis.

Mainframe

I read the bad reviews on the Truevis printers also, got some constant bashers lurking around, But I talked to a guy who is running one 24 hrs a day, 3 shifts and LOVES his! I guess the early models had trouble but from what I have noticed, they have them ironed out.

I am going on 6 months with mine and this thing is like a tank! I am yet to print a bad print, (unless it was one I guessed wrong on a color) It has an awesome take up, the ink is bullet proof, you have to work to scratch the prints, as far as I am concerned it sips ink, is much easier to clean than the VP was and easily prints in half the time, the solid colors look no different than cut vinyl and the cutter in this thing is dead accurate, one thing I found is when you cut a laminated print with the crop marks, it is best to remove the media roll and slide the holders out of the way, I was off on a cut one time and caught the print bumping the hardware back there and now that I remove the media, I have not had another problem.

I have to admit, I was really worried about this printer, I read so much bad press on this I was wondering if Roland was slipping in the printer dept. but from what I have experienced so far I gotta say I am more than impressed with the TrueVis VG540! It just cranks out any job I throw at it and never bats an eye, the machine I am using is exactly what I was used to in my VP, only so much more, I love having banners that won't mark up just by flipping them over on the table, and this thing reads crop marks like a champ. I can only report what I am seeing here, I really look forward to printing any job, and I just printed a banner right before leaving for lunch, just loaded it on the take up and left, there it is, all ready to hem, I used to have to wait a whole day before I could even think about hemming a banner printed with my VP, not now, they have gone out the door same day, many times already.

Feel free to ask any questions you like, from my stand point I don't think you should be afraid of this printer at all.

Terry01

Have you sorted any problems with the VS that it may have had??.. has it paid for itself and you??
Put a new scan motor in it and keep it going.. why buy a new printer when the heads are the same??
just saying

Last edited:

Broome Signs

Hi I don’t know why the true Vis gets so much bad press

We been running the VG64 for two years now without any problems

If i had to gripe about something it would be the take up spool
The right hand bar is too close to the media

We ended up taking the par off and cutting about 1inch Of the side
Now works perfect

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Hi I don’t know why the true Vis gets so much bad press

When it was released in America it had tons of issues. As stated above a lot of them were ironed out over time. This machine has a weird effect on people. Some people will die before they let any bad press about it get out for some reason. Brand loyalty maybe? My opinion is that it's way over priced. A Mimaki CJV150 not only prints faster and at higher quality but can be anywhere from $2000 to $4000 cheaper than the TruVis and the TruVis doesn't even come with a take up! It's a budget printer priced at a premium.

Joe House

Vander - Normally I'm agreeing with you, but since I don't sell, I only service, I googled a CJV150-130 54" printer/cutter and found it for sale for $18,995 (www.hhsignsupply.com) and a SG-540 printer/cutter for $14,995 (www.hansensupply.com). Not knowing the Mimaki line, I'm sure there may be features that justify the price difference, but I don't think you can say the SG is more expensive than the CJV.
I think you're spot on about the brand loyalty though. We've had customers fall on both sides of the love/hate line with TruVis printers. I think the more forgiving have been loyal Roland customers with a good history to back up that loyalty.

Edit - I'll also add that prices on websites are not typically the price one pays, with promos and dealer incentives, etc.