• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Upgrading to Rasterlink 6

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
This seems like a dumb question but here goes..

basically, we still run a mimaki cjv30-130 and it works great. Our IT is pushing us over to win 10 so we’re having to switch from RL5 to RL6, I managed to download RL6 and get it going but it appears that it will stop working unless we can get a serial code pretty soon. (We still have the RL5 serial code etc but that didn’t work).

I reached out to mimaki almost 3 weeks ago via their website but they’re still completely silent. Basically just wondering how to go about legally upgrading to RL6 to keep running the mimaki once our IT switch to windows 10.

We buy our inks third party and don’t have any contact with any mimaki dealers/reps and the company we bought the mimaki from originally went bust two weeks after install.. which was loads of help. So we’ve been pretty much in the dark since.

we’re in the UK if that’s any help/anyone can point me in the right direction. Thanks!

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Your Rasterlink 5 key should work to activate 6. It's longer than the one required for 6 so you just fill in as much as you can and then it should activate. If it isn't, either something has changed with Mimaki or you haven't deactivated the one on the old computer.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Didn’t even think it’d be a free upgrade! Thought never crossed my mind. Assumed the free stuff days were long gone lol.

will deactivate and try that code tomorrow. If that fails hopefully mimaki keep their enquiry turnaround time to under a month..

Thanks for your help

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Your Rasterlink 5 key should work to activate 6. It's longer than the one required for 6 so you just fill in as much as you can and then it should activate. If it isn't, either something has changed with Mimaki or you haven't deactivated the one on the old computer.

“this serial key is for another product, please enter be serial key for this product”

has definitely been deactivated on the RL5. Thoughts?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
“this serial key is for another product, please enter be serial key for this product”

has definitely been deactivated on the RL5. Thoughts?

I heard Mimaki might be ending the free upgrade. They must have pulled the trigger. Other than that I think you'll have to buy it. It's pretty expensive but you Might check out Ebay or if your country has something like craigslist I have seen copies being sold their.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Depends how expensive pretty expensive is, we’re running onyx for another machine so would probably just get another licence for that and get everything running on the same software. Onyx > RL anyway lol

White Haus

Not a Newbie
I heard Mimaki might be ending the free upgrade. They must have pulled the trigger. Other than that I think you'll have to buy it. It's pretty expensive but you Might check out Ebay or if your country has something like craigslist I have seen copies being sold their.

I can't imagine paying for Rasterlink. I've been (painfully) trying to get used to it after using Versaworks for 11 years and onyx for 5. As soon as we get some profiles built in Onyx for our UCJV I'll be done with Rasterlink!

Sorry, I know my rant isn't really helpful, just venting really. But personally if I was in a position where I had to pay for Onyx or pay for Rasterlink.........well you get the idea.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I can't imagine paying for Rasterlink. I've been (painfully) trying to get used to it after using Versaworks for 11 years and onyx for 5. As soon as we get some profiles built in Onyx for our UCJV I'll be done with Rasterlink!

Sorry, I know my rant isn't really helpful, just venting really. But personally if I was in a position where I had to pay for Onyx or pay for Rasterlink.........well you get the idea.

It's funny, I have customers who have only ever used Rasterlink and they don't complain but anyone who has used a name brand RIP before using Rasterlink hates it. It gets better every version but I agree. It can be a very clunky program.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Rasterlink 5 looked a lot better than Rasterlink 6 I found too. Genuinely seems like they tried to over complicate it.

as mentioned in the first post, I wouldn’t even mind paying for v6 but mimaki have dodged 3 inquiries this far and haven’t replied once. Won’t even reply when I’m trying to give them money lol

looks like I’ll end up just getting another onyx licence.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
It's funny, I have customers who have only ever used Rasterlink and they don't complain but anyone who has used a name brand RIP before using Rasterlink hates it. It gets better every version but I agree. It can be a very clunky program.

I'm trying to be patient and keep in mind that it's just that I'm used to doing things differently.........but I just can't the hang of a few things. Especially dealing with "special plates" and "compositions" and all that nonsense. After a while I think I'm making progress then sure enough, I only realize settings are wrong once I've printed a foot of the job. No actual preview of the output really bothers me.

Anyways, I'll keep my rants to myself for now!

Hope you get your RIP sorted out!