• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Urgent help needed with Mimaki JV3 firmware update

spencer2004

Hello all.

I am currently trying to get a couple of Mimakis to work but they don't accept half of the cartridge chips that I have, I needs these printers up and running quickly but I am unable to source any new sets of ink chips locally. I would rather not have to resort to buying a whole set of new ink cartridges unless I have no other choice. The models in question are a JV3-160SP and a JV3-75SPII which are both running firmware version 2.4 (and mechanical firmware version 7.6).

I have read somewhere that firmware version 3.1 ignores the chip completely, is that true? If so I would be really grateful if someone could either provide me with a link to the firmware rom or email it to me. I have looked all over the internet and all I found was 3.1 for a S model :(

My email address is spencerpoyle2000@gmail.com if someone is able to email it to me.

If I can get my hands on 3.1 I will upload it somewhere and post a link on this thread to other people can find it in the future.

heyskull

Some of the firmware on the JV3 is not able to be removed once installed (I think).
If just to get the machine running again and the chips are out of date, not empty.
Is to pull out the main board battery leave for a few minutes and reinstall.
This resets the dates back to when it was built (which can be early 2000s on these machines) allowing it to use chips that are no longer in date.

SC

polishdan

I second that. We ordered new chips (our JV3-160S has a tendency to declare a cartridge empty only halfway through) but the ones we were sent were already expired.

What's the LCD panel say about the cartridges? EXPIRED or WRONG? If it's EXPIRED, you can solve this by setting the date on the printer back. If it says WRONG, I'm guessing your cartridges didn't come from a reliable source (Maribu/Triangle/Bordeaux or are OEM)?

Assuming a similar layout to our JV3-160S, we removed the back plates of the printer (where your rolls of vinyl sit, not the top half of the printer) and on the right side is the motherboard (in ours it was behind the firewire board). Obviously the machine should be turned off on both sides and unplugged while you're doing this. Once you find the motherboard, you'll see a battery attached (it'll be one of the round flat ones like a quarter, either a CR2032 or LR44). Pull it out, then push the front power switch (still unplugged) 5-6 times to discharge any remaining energy, and put the battery back in. Close her up, plug her back in, and then follow your maintenance manual instructions for setting the date back to something earlier.

Some of the firmware on the JV3 is not able to be removed once installed (I think).
If just to get the machine running again and the chips are out of date, not empty.
Is to pull out the main board battery leave for a few minutes and reinstall.
This resets the dates back to when it was built (which can be early 2000s on these machines) allowing it to use chips that are no longer in date.

SC