• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

URGENT - Mimaki JV3 160s printhead - can I disable one of 3?

ercha85

Here is the thing...
During the printing my Mimaki JV3 has stoped and shows ERROR 07 (---*--).
I check the cables of 2nd head and start printer again. After 20cm of printing it stops again and shows ERROR 07 (--*---).
And now when I start printer, everything is ok.. but when I start printing or cleaning, it shows ERROR 07 (--*---).
I had replaced 2nd printhead with 3rd, clean them, and start printer, but now there is same problem but with lm. My printer shows ERROR 07 (----*-).
Because I have some urgent jobs to do, and for that jobs I must not use lm and lc... I was wandering can I somehow disable that 3rd head and use only CMYK so I can finish this jobs, and than to buy new head?

MikePro

sounds like you have a loose/cracked ribbon cable.
try powering down, swapping the two cables with another printhead, and see if the issue follows.
if the issue corrects itself, it was a badly seated cable.
if the issue follows it to the new head, you need new cables.

artbot

do a data swap next time, you don't have to take out heads to move data (illus. shows sp model).

the only way you are going get that printer working is if you have a proxy head. that is, a clogged or mechanically damaged head that is electronically fine. put the head in the lmlc position and the firmware will not 07 that head. you really don't even have install it. you can duct tape it to the carriage if you are in a hurry. over time (months) that head will fail electronically because the ink acts as coolant and it will be hotter than it is specified to be.

then i rasterlink, just choose cmyk profiles (they will not have lm lc data).

Attachments

• dataswap.jpg
    dataswap.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 148

ercha85

I try to replace the cables, and printer show same error for same head. Now I try to print something only in black, and after 3-4cm of printing, printer had stoped, and show ERROR 07 (------).
Now there wasn't problem with any specific color (head).
Does anyone knows what could be a problem?

Thank You in advance.

artbot

that is weird, i think i saw that a few years back on my printer.

so when you did the data swap, and moving the head, the issue follows the same side of that head? also, do you have a proxy head that you can just plug in and attempt to boot. as far as your electrical problems, i'd get all the static out of the machine so you know you don't have some latent charge in the printer. turn off from the front, switch off the back, unplug, press the front button four or five times slowly. then reboot. this fixes a lot of odd behavior in older rolands, and occasionally mimakis.

if after plugging in a proxy head the printer still gives you false error 07's you will have to at least pull the slider board and send it off to macmedia or another board diagnostic/repair company.

do you have the service manual for your 160s?

PDD

I think you have a slider board going bad. You can send it to Macmedia and they can check it pretty fast as long as they have recovered from the storm Irene as I know it caused them some problems.

Dave Rowland

did u have a fuzzy print before?

slider board, I had this before myself, the head somehow has shorted the very small circuit board fuses on the slider board.

JTpro

soooo..... after a whole day yesterday of not messing with it and another half today everything is printing correct again!!! WTF!!

I did have a tech call me back and it was a $100 charge if he was able to correct the problem, but no charge if nothing resulted from his call (which I thought was very fair)

He took control of my computer and double checked all my settings to be true. Ran some tests and low and behold they were printing closer to red, but not exactly the red I know that it should be. I figured if that was the best that would come of it, it would pass for now and with the profits from the car wrap job get a tech here to fully service the machine. Upon further inspection of the files he was sending he overlooked that there was some color corrections that I had put in to try push / test the print. After removing those the red came out beautiful as well as the print that I ran a few weeks ago came out true as well.

It was so odd that on the same piece of media in the machine there was the same print one was orange and the other was red!

The best the tech could figure from being on the phone is that there was some air in the line that was working it's way through and after running tests, multiple cleanings and sitting that it worked itself out. He said to keep an eye on it and that the dampers may need replacing soon. He didn't charge for the call since he really didn't adjust anything. Also didn't suggest changing the dampers until needed. I just hope that in the 30' of vinyl I'm about to print that it all stays working properly

Car wrap is printing now and looking wonderful..... thanks everyone for your insight and suggestions, they were helpful