• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

usb hub

wes70

I'm running out of usb ports on my computer. I don't have a wireless network setup, so I run my wide format printer, desktop printer, speakers, flexi dongle, mouse and keyboard all on usb attached directly to computer. I need to run my summa cutter through usb (no serial on new computer). Now, I plan on getting a usb hub to give me more connections. Would there be any problems or interuptions by using a usb hub to my printer or cutter?

choucove

Well, yes and no. A USB hub can sometimes cause communication errors between different devices. Most of your desktop printers will be able to run through a hub, and most likely your flexi dongle as well. However, I've sometimes had problems with a mouse or keyboard working through a USB hub (depending upon the hub) and would highly recommend connecting your wide format printer and cutter directly to the USB ports on your computer and not to a USB hub. One of the biggest reasons for this is because a large majority of the USB hubs out there are not hi-speed but the original 1.1 speed hubs which is not fast enough to transfer the data properly to the printer causing communication timeouts or errors during your print.

iSign

I'm sure there are worse hubs, and better hubs...

but if you have that many, I'd think the printer communications would be the most demanding communications, and the one most possible to cost you money if severed (in mid-print) ...so I would put the other crap on the hub...

but, why not get a serial port card to install in the new computer? If you have to buy something anyway, they're not that expensive, and i think that would be a more secure & reliable connection (although that's just a guess, as I'm no tech)

WildWestDesigns

USB hubs aren't that bad nowadays like they used to be. I think now you can string up to 27 hubs in one USB connection on the computer and still have quick reliable signal.

Now I'm sure that when they tested that it was more along the lines of keyboards and mice and printers. Not plotters.

Like the others, I would stick with name brand hubs, but I haven't had any issues with even stringing hubs and I'm running through 3 hubs right now.

wes70

Thanks guys!

Printer and cutter directly to the computer...screw the rest! :)

Doug, I think the serial card may be the way to go. I had problems before with usb to the summa, so I connected with serial cable and all was well, that was on the old computer.

Gene@mpls

I'm sure there are worse hubs, and better hubs...

but if you have that many, I'd think the printer communications would be the most demanding communications, and the one most possible to cost you money if severed (in mid-print) ...so I would put the other crap on the hub...

but, why not get a serial port card to install in the new computer? If you have to buy something anyway, they're not that expensive, and i think that would be a more secure & reliable connection (although that's just a guess, as I'm no tech)

Or a USB card will add several (and some have a usb connection inside
the case- for a safe place for your dongle)