• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Use of Logos on window art for the back of pickup windows?

MrTopgun21

When Googling "Rear window graphics" I found a bunch of web sites selling custom printed window perf decals for the rear windows of pick-up trucks.
My question is, I see them selling decals with Harley and Budweiser logos super imposed over a background of flames or carbon fiber. How are these companies using the Corporate logos without following "logo standards" and copyright law? I know Harley Davidson are hard core about how their logo is used and who uses it.
I'd like to provide this service locally, but don't need a copyright law suit.

rjssigns

A better Google search would be to find what happens to those people printing copyrighted logos.

RedBull even has a snitch page on their website. To say they're tenacious in pursuit and prosecution is the understatement of the decade.

knucklehead

And, Harley has moonlighting lawyers(reps), out looking for that kind of copyright violations. They just haven't floated up to the top yet. A very few, may even have a license.

OldPaint

go peruse CRAIGS LIST)))))
seems every dummy with a plotter in his bedroom..........TRIES TO SELL COOPERATE LOGOS.... i went there one day under business i found this bozo, BLATANTLY selling FOOTBALL(college & nfl)LOGOS........with his phone number !!!!!!!!! to figin funny.
i had a run in with EASY RIDER...........another so called sign guy(broker/installer)brings me this job to cut vinyl for it. it included the word EASYRIDER, and the motorcycle logo. i looke everywhere for the font that easyrider's.......to no avail. so me thinking this job was on the up & up, called easyrider mag. asked them what the name of the font was as i was using it for a clothing store that had their name on it!!!! BAD MOVE!!!!!! now i got people asking me who and where this sign is going to, who authorized the use of the NAME & GRAPHIC.....AND WAS TOLD TO CEASE AND DESIST without futher notice.....i made the signs, got paid(cash), told the "broker installer" about how wrong this was.....never seen the signs go up.

peavey123

I know a shop who used all artwork from one of the newer batman movies for a tow truck vehicle wrap. I thought for sure this guy would at least get a cease and desist to remove the wrap...but Nope. Nothing ever happened.

There are companies out there who are crazy like redbull and harley but really who's getting caught? I've never heard of anyone? have any of you?..

and to Colorado, not every shop is as busy as you. You come off pretty poorly pretending that doing a rear window is a waste of time for anyone. Maybe for you, but someone has to do it.

rjssigns

Huge waste of time for us. at $150-200 a pop they really make us no money.
Turn them away daily.

Fair enough. Your business model is far different from ours.

We had a quite a thing going on Ebay a couple years ago. Made decent bank. Then offshore competition put a dagger in it. Wasn't about to do them for 50 bucks including shipping.

MrTopgun21

Thanks for all of your feedback, you pretty much backed up what I was suspecting. And we're a small shop, that does mostly web and graphic design and some commercial photography. We bought a used Mutoh and there's a market around us, so $100-150 a pop for a window decal, helps keep the printer printing. Instead of sitting there collecting dust.

SKD937

I've always wondered about that.....you go to trade shows and you see them selling logos that I'm sure that can't. But you never see a business name or any contact info. I've also seen on a few sites that are selling them, at the very bottom of the page there is something about the logos being copyrighted and you hitting the submit/order button take full responsibility or something like that....not sure how all that holds up?!

OldPaint

i have made plenty of cooperate LOGOS. WENDY, BURGER KING, SONIC, BANKS,CAR DEALERSHIPS. when i was doing LITTLE LEAGUE BASEBALL/FOOTBALL signs. you can reproduce these logos FOR THEIR RIGHTFUL OWNERS...ALL DAY LONG.......just cant make em for other people.....who want them.

Patentagosse

Huge waste of time for us. at $150-200 a pop they really make us no money.
Turn them away daily.

Well... depending on your overloaded schedule, you may turn 'em down but over here, I welcome that kinda job. I sell 'em $265 and never got the "way too expensive" face so I keep on doing it. I don't print H-D logos however, only my customers' compagnies design (logo). They prefer the backglass done instead of sides...