• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Use of translucent vinyl over white reflective?

The Doo

The Sign Lady
There appears to be either a huge demand or delay in shipping 2 reflective vinyl colors (Light blue and Light green) needed for an ASAP job. Has anyone had experience overlaying a trans blue or green over reflective white to substitute? Does / will it work? All help and positive comments appreciated! ;)

ikarasu

You need to use a special transparent that won't block reflectivity.

3m 1177c for green 1175c for blue.

Oracal makes one, avery too. I would not just buy any transparent and expect it to work, if it's a regulated sign you'll get into a lot of trouble.

Your other option is to find someone with a traffic printer and have them print it for you.

If it's non regulated... You can do what you want. You'll lose some reflectivity, but it should technically work.

The Doo

The Sign Lady
Thank you very much. Fortunately it is unregulated and sounds like it is fixable. I really appreciate your input!

netsol

There appears to be either a huge demand or delay in shipping 2 reflective vinyl colors (Light blue and Light green) needed for an ASAP job. Has anyone had experience overlaying a trans blue or green over reflective white to substitute? Does / will it work? All help and positive comments appreciated! ;)

it's a lot to read through, but very informative, and pretty much on topic
hope it helps

https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media...-sign-faces-all-imaging-methods.pdf?&COrrrrQ-

The Doo

The Sign Lady
Much appreciated. Y'all are always so helpful. Sales is my forte not so much production! I shall do my night time reading.

ikarasu

I think thats for backlit signs... which isnt what youre doing.

Do you not have a printer? You can print on white reflective vinyl with solvent / latex printers easily to make it whatever color you want. You do lose some reflectivity... but not much. If its a rush sign, I suggest doing that. 3M Makes 5330 (Removable, printable), orajet has one... avery has one. All should work fine. If youre using something besides engineer grade... Latex can print on all 3M Reflective whites.

https://www.3mcanada.ca/3M/en_CA/co...ed-36-in-x-50-yd/?N=5002385+3293795407&rt=rud This is 3M Traffic blue - They also have traffic green. It's specifically made to let through as much light as possible. This is the onlything we'd ever put over reflective... We've never tried regular transparent, but I have a feeling itll block most of the reflectivity.

If you cant find the reflective you want, I highly suggest getting a wholesaler to print it for you. Then you know you're getting a quality sign, and not something that "May" work. I imagine every wholesaler has a reflective they print on. lots of MM members on here who can do it for you.

MikePro

as stated above, yes to transparent vinyl like oracal 8300.
transluscent vinyl, however, is intended for backlit translucence & may as well be an opaque vinyl on reflective.

huge fan of printing directly to the reflective, else you could also print on clear and overlay.

player

Make sure it's for printing. I was using regular reflective and it worked for 2 panels but after that it was contaminated and wouldn't print properly.

Woocity

I make traffic legal signs, I use 3M 3930 HIP sheeting with 3M 11--- ElectroCut Film series overlay. This gives use the legal reflectivity that is required by the Feds.