Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Used HP L25500 & Errors, should I buy it?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Johnny T., Sep 28, 2018.

1. Johnny T.

Johnny T. New Member

Sep 24, 2018
    Michigan
    Hi guys,

I am active on other forums for designing but I am new to this forum. I just have a couple questions that Im hoping someone can answer for me. I would greatly appreciate it!

I have an opportunity to purchase an HP L25500 60" latex printer for about $600 right now. It has very low hours on it (so they say). It ran great for years with no issues, but just recently they got a "maintenance cartridge" error, so they changed it, but they still get the maintenance cartridge error??? So that's one issue.

The other issue is software.... I have absolutely NO idea what software I would need to run this thing. Do I need special RIP software or can I get away with just sending a PDF to it via Photoshop or other software?

I GREATLY appreciate any help guys!!!

JT

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
  2. unclebun

unclebun Very Active Member

3. Johnny T.

Johnny T. New Member

Sep 24, 2018
    Michigan
    Awesome, thanks Unclebun. I appreciate that info!

4. Johnny T.

Johnny T. New Member

Sep 24, 2018
    Michigan
    OK, new light has been shed on this situation......

I posted the above post about a week ago that I had an opportunity to buy an HP l25500 latex printer but there was an error code coming up that had something to do with the maintenance cartridge or maintenance kit. I got some input from a couple of people about how to repair it and I was looking forward to purchasing it and hopefully repairing it and getting it working.

Strangely enough an old friend called me letting me know that the company he works for was selling the EXACT same printer. I can get them both for the same price but the one that his company is selling has not been turned on in 2 years. I'm simply wondering if it would be better to buy the one that is throwing the maintenance kit error code that ran within the last couple of months, or by the one from my friends company that was working the last time it was used, but it has not been used in 2 years. Just looking for some advice. Thanks.

5. ddarlak

ddarlak Trump Hater

i would assume both machines will need new heads ($115 times 6)

the one that was off for two years, you might be able to recover some, but realistically they need to be replaced

the other one probably will need them all very soon.

there is a good reason these are cheap. worth it if your an experienced tinkerer, not if your not.

6. Christian @ 2CT Media

Christian @ 2CT Media Major Contributor

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    You can estimate $2000 for heaters and $2000 for ink line set for the one that's been off for 2 years. And the other one through maintenance service kit 3 you can estimate $1200 in parts and labor.... But HP has discontinued support and parts for these machines last year.

• Like Like x 1
  7. JHeard

JHeard Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Georgia
    I'd probably go with the one that has been sitting for 2 years. I have two of the l26500s that had both been sitting 1-1.5 years and they both work great. Had to replace heads/ink, print head cleaning kit/ink maintenance kit. Only took a few hours to get them printing and everything has been fine since.

I'd be concerned about the other one having the error and having to bring in a tech work on it. Not sure how quickly that would be resolved. Just my opinion from my experience. Good luck!

• Like Like x 1
  8. flyplainsdrifta

flyplainsdrifta Active Member

Oct 13, 2017
    ct
    id recommend getting away from the 1st gen latex as it is all being phased out at the end of the year by hp. i would save the money and the headache on repairs and whatnot and save up for a latex 115 instead.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Asuma01

Asuma01 Member

Nov 19, 2013
    Bend, OR
    On these older latex machines you also need to worry about the heating elements going out. Very expensive and time consuming to replace.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Bly

Bly Very Active Member

Mar 9, 2004
    Sydney
    I wouldn't buy one of those.

11. SoCal

SoCal Member

Jan 7, 2013
    Montclair, CA
    It's a great work horse and easy to fix yourself. If you get a good enough price get both and do the repairs yourself- but only if you have the time and patience. These are old and support through HP is gone. I've personally done a ink line replacements, Service Kits, and Encoder Strip replacement among other smaller repairs and they were easy with the help of the tech manual.

• Like Like x 1
  12. dypinc

dypinc Very Active Member

Mar 9, 2011
    Here
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Reveal1

Reveal1 Member

Nov 7, 2010
    Cape Girardeau, MO
    We have our original one for backup/occasional overflow to our busy HP 560 and one I bought cheap for for parts (ran when I bought but ink lines eventually blew). The eight year old 25500 still runs like a champ and is easy to repair. Set up for banners mostly because the 560 has been rock solid for 18 months and is so much better workflow-wise. Nice thing about latex is you can leave them off for days or even weeks without problem. FYI you can still find parts on ebay but we haven't needed to. Eventually may take flyplainsdrifta advice and buy a 115 or whatever low end latex is current but this is nice downtime insurance for now.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Johnny T.

Johnny T. New Member

Sep 24, 2018
    Michigan
    UPDATE: I ended up buying the one that had the error for $400, not the one that was sitting for a few years. I pulled the line sensor out and cleaned it as someone suggested. It worked and it got past the point of giving the error for replacing the cleaning kit. After that I got an error to replace the ink funnel??? I pulled it out and cleaned it off and popped it back in. It also asked me to replace the cleaning kit again. I pulled it out and popped it back in and then that is where I quickly learned that all but 2 of the cartridges are "Expired". So..... now I suppose I need to get some new cartridges and see where we are at that point. We shall see.......

15. Reveal1

Reveal1 Member

Nov 7, 2010
    Cape Girardeau, MO
    I stand to be corrected, but as I recall you can still use those cartridges but you'll continue to get an expired message.

16. flyplainsdrifta

flyplainsdrifta Active Member

Oct 13, 2017
    ct
    stock up on all the ink and consumables you can now. only got a few months left until they're gone!

17. Kelcy Deeds

Kelcy Deeds Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Belize
    Yeah, i bought a used l25500 sept last year and it worked "good" but it takes a while to learn the machine, make sure when youre doing short runs to move the leading edge out past the curing area before starting the print and i would even tape a weight or hold the front edge for the first minute cause it seemed like with the extra heat that it gave the first foot it would make the edge curl up and get jams. Its a good machine if you know what youre doing and you print a lot of long runs. Yes also make sure you stock up on ink and dont buy on ebay. i made the mistake of buying ink on ebay and it wasnt even ones that were expired but its really common to get a "faulty cartridge error" with those and i think everyone sells there faulty ink on ebay. lol. i got two in the same week that were faulty and those two also happened to be the last ones i had left. and living in belize doesnt exactly allow for next day shipping.

Use the machine to earn up enough money to buy a epson S40600! thats what i did and im never going back to latex. Dont believe everything you hear about latex being better. Its all just good marketing from HP. Ive been using my epson for the last few months and havent once had a issue with it yet. its amazing. Anyway, good luck!