• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Used printers: Mimaki JV3 vs HP 9000s

Quix

I recently purchased a used HP9000s, and I've been having lots of problems trying to make it print right. So far it prints almost OK, but it needs the replacement of at least two printheads.
I've heard it's a great printer, but all spare parts are expensive, and it needs to be set up right (also expensively).
Recently I got a good offer of a used Mimaki JV3-130, and when I saw it printing I was amazed of the quality of the images. All printheads were at 100% as we tested them.
My options are:
1- Spend more money setting up correctly my HP (maybe buying new printheads and so), getting a "better" machine, if that's the case.
2- Change it for a tested JV3, sacrificing speed, Lc&Lm colors and the 64" width for a better quality and lower spare parts price.
Thank you for your comments.

artbot

i was at mountain graphics a few months ago (gf's dad runs it, gigantic graphic company). they had a heard of jv3's and tossed them for the hp's. told me that the hp's are way better. now i own a jv3 160sp. it's a quirky machine. when it's printing, which is the usual, it's great. but it's got it's finicky moments with clogged pumps and such.

if you plan on having the printer for years, the mimaki is the choice. i foresee spart parts being available for them for another 10 years. there's just too many out there to not provide for enough saturation that servicing them won't be profitable. as for the hp's you see them depreciating more quickly. a sign that they will possibly be difficult to keep running over time.

how much will it cost to get the hp going?

Quix

Thank you, Artbot.
I believe setting up the HP will cost me about the same as buying the JV3 (with the advantage that I can sell off cheap the HP later). It needs two or three printheads (1200 each) and it has starvation issues that we haven't been able to solve.
You told me just what I wanted to hear: JV3 is a good choice for years; specially because I don't get a lot of printing volume in my business; but my clients mostly demand good quality.
I really appreciate your input.

Typestries

starvation issues = check connections and or replace orings in the ink train—its a classic DJ9000 problem
Heads, I have quite a few decent used ones for $275 ea if you are interested. They're 90% but not 100%.
-Rick

Quix

Thank you too, Typestries.
For how long could I expect these printheads to work?
I've noticed HP 9000 is more "forgiving" in print quality when printheads are not at 100%, but I'd like to know if I'll get banding issues soon.
The price is great, though.

Bill Modzel

I've been running a 9000 for almost 4 years now. The only real issues I've had were directly related to trying non_OEM ink. I'm amazed with the print quality, even on smaller decals which I do thousands of. It's a great machine in my book.

Quix

Thank you too, Bill. I do believe it's a strong printer.
I'm using non-OEM inks; so maybe it's part of the problem.
Are OEM inks worth the price? - Maybe less cleaning cycles needed?