• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Users of any of EJ, VG and RF i need your advice

choodziopl

Hello to all reading my topic.

We was running VS540i for three years. Almost 0 issues. We needed an upgrade. First priority - width (to 64 inch), second - speed. We changed it for Oki colorpainter E-64s but its just not working well with us. We need to change it again. These are the only options we can choose from:

We need to decide between Rolands:
VG 640 , RF 640 and maybe EJ 640.

We print mainly on monomeric Vinyl, laminate it (same day, no drying time, never had problems) and mount on a foam or acm board. One day its just few prints, the other non stop production 1-2 x 50 m roll. Mosty 8x4 prints. We would like to stick to Cmykcmyk as it was working well. More colors means more inks to store and more color matching problems, we simply dont want anything other than 2xCMYK. We dont need print and cut as we want to buy stanalone plotter some time after and we dont use contour often at all.

-Vg intrigues me as a modern product (untested). Not sure about real time speeds for an 8x4 print in standard mode. Oki was disturbingly self cleaning often, worried its the same case here. I didnt mind making manual maintenance once a week before. Prefer that than sudden self maintanance which cant be interrupted. Is it really wasting a lot of ink? I dont feel positive about that but opinion comes just from the internet.

-RF well looks not much as a step forward from VS. Dont know how it compares to the rest. I liked VS540i just the speed seems too slow in comparison to others.

-EJ is my most favorite (speeds) but im not sure how much the EJ inks differ from good ol EcoSolMAX2. Looks simillar to the VS but not so futuristic as VG. Sounds like a perfect choice in between but maybe im horribly wrong?

Any users of those? What are the annoying bits? Do you have lots of wrinkled media after print, lets say 30 min - 1 hr rest and printing again? That was rhe case with VS ( lower room temp )
Is the take up unit same or different than VSi? Any feedback welcome. Thanks!

Last edited:

Gene@mpls

We have an RF- same printer as the VS, but without the cut function, and only 2xCMYK. Great printer, very cost efficient and trouble free [using a bulk ink system].
I would research the VG printers carefully- I don't like what people are saying about them.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Shame you can only pick from the Roland range. We tested the VG and EJ when we were looking for a new machine. Ended up going with an Epson S80900.
It makes the EJ looks like a slug in comparison. If you want ultra speed, the S60600 is blisteringly fast in dual CMYK config.
That being said, if you're after speed, EJ is the one to pick.

The wrinkled media issue you're having is likely due to the monomeric vinyl. While it sits there on the heater, the backing and vinyl expand at different rates and it begins to buckle.
You really need to keep mono moving through a machine so it doesn't sit too long and start to wrinkle. We always heat up the printer first, then load media and print immediately. No head strikes or funny business.