• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Using a contour Cut with Spot colors and tranparency

LMSigns24

I have had this issue for a while now. I create artwork in illustrator. I use rolands colors, and some gradients or transparancy. I put a contour cut around image. I save, and when I bring into versaworks, the contour cut is gone or its there and its a white outline instead of the die cut. I always do get an error message saying using spots color with transparencies... I usually am able to fix it by flattening everything, but then I loose my roland colors. I do not understand what is going on! i am able to fix sometimes, but not always. How to I print with my roland colors using gradients but keeping my contour cut???

dgerb

Check to see if spot colors are being converted to cmyk or rgb when you export from illustrator.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Bigdawg

Just Me
The short answer is that this is a known problem with Versaworks and Illustrator Transparency. Like you, we usually rasterize the file, but you are right - you will lose the Roland spot colors. We cut with a separate cutter, so I'm able to turn off my cutline for printing and then turn the layer back on when I cut on the Graphtec.

I have done this though - YMMV:

Set up file in pdf format with cutline on a separate layer. Save a copy with the cutline layer turned OFF and print this file with Roland registrations marks. Save another copy with ONLY the cutline layer (in position) in it and RIP this file with the marks and "Cut Only" turned on. After laminating, put the printed piece through the printer for cutting, but use the cutline file you ripped to actually cut. It is VERY IMPORTANT that both files have exactly the same artboard size.

This is the only work-around I've come up with...

rjssigns

Save as Press Quality PDF(turn off optimize for web)
Open PDF in Acrobat and save as a PS(postscript)file
Open PS file in VW
This is normal procedure in the print lab at school when cut information doesn't show up.

burgmurk

I don't have Versaworks here to confirm, but iirc at a previous job, if i saved as an illustrator 8 eps, everything worked fine.

Save 2 files from illustrator. 1 Print file and 1 Cut file. Turn off the other layers when saving the file. Problem should be solved.

Just noticed a previous poster had the same solution.

Vohaul

Save 2 files from illustrator. 1 Print file and 1 Cut file. Turn off the other layers when saving the file. Problem should be solved.

Just noticed a previous poster had the same solution.

I do the same thing except with 2 pages ( 1 artwork, 1 cut) output as PDF, load it into versa, set all the settings.... then print page 1 , and then cut page 2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

LMSigns24

Thank you ALL for all of the great tips. I will be trying them all right now! It is very frustrating but i am glad you all had solutions!!!:)

petepaz

WE FLATTEN THE IMAGE AND THEN ADD THE CUT LINES. THAT USUALLY WORKS BUT IF FOR SOME REASON IT ALTERS YOUR ART WORK JUST MAKE TWO FILES, ONE PRINT AND ONE CUT

CatalinJ

try something like this :
1. cut layer always must be the top layer
2. try not to group the cut line and the object
3. save in .eps
4. when .dialog show's up if you have the Preset option in Transparency highlited press the Custom tab
5. after pressing the Custom tab in the new pop-up "Custom Transparency Flattener Options",
uncheck the "Convert All Strokes to Outlines".
6. after that hit ok, then ok again to save the .eps file.

using this the print layer and the cut layer is in the same file, i always use this method, the only time when i have the cut layer in a separate file is when i have to laminte a print.