• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Using Digital Print on reclaimed wood. Possible? Clear coat? FrogJuice?

bold_will_hold

Hello, I have a client looking to do a reclaimed wood sign. I love this style sign and look. I have done many reclaimed wood signs but the wood is always sanded smooth. For this sign it will be more of a texture finish and I am uncertain that the vinyl will stick over a long period of time. The sign will be indoors. I quoted client a price placing graphics on a clear piece of acrylic then mounting that over the wood background using stand-offs.

This is the ideal setup. So contour cut digital print/vinyl is not on the wood directly. I want to give the client the option of placing graphics on the wood and my only idea would be to clear the wood apply graphics the clear coat over the graphics.

My question is do you think that is good solution that would work? Can I use a regular poly or shellac over the vinyl graphics or does it have to be a product made for signs like superfrog?

Thanks for any advice you can give me!

letterman7

That's the only way I would try to do a direct application - seal the wood completely. If you can get it to stick, you shouldn't need a topcoat as it would be just like lettering anything else smooth. Your client may not like the look of a glossy piece of wood though depending on the application. Any option to paint directly to the wood? How detailed is this thing?

bold_will_hold

Thanks for the responses. The logo is detailed includes small letters and a tree logo with multiple color leaves!!
Direct Print is not an option as I do not have flatbed printer. The board will not be smooth it will have textured grain (small groves, knots, and seem between boards)
I am going to try a matte shellac to seal the wood. I agree the shinny look on the wood will not be appealing.

Best case I sell them on acrylic over the wood backer, that is ideal!

Thanks for the help guys!