• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

using Illustrator to make a rope border

Waylon

I'm trying to use Illustrator to make custom rope borders. I found a couple rope brushes on adobe's site that I like and I'm applying the brush to a rounded corner rectangle path. I've got the shape set up like I want it and save it as an .eps, which I imported into Vinyl Master pro. It's giving me the following which I can't figure out how to fix. As in the attached picture, some of the sections are cut and welding in VMP isn't fixing it. I can go in and edit them individually, but prefer to do it right, if possible.

Attachments

• rope.jpg
    rope.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 190

johnnysigns

you can't weld all of it in your vinyl software? you can always add the slightest outline to the illustrator file and see what that does.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Open new window and either copy and paste rope border or make new rope border....

expand (should turn into vector object)

Ungroup...

Remove original shape (usually stuck in the middle of your vector rope border)

select an object in the rope border (try the white first)

On the top menu, go to "SELECT" > "SAME" > "FILL COLOR"
(should select all the white)

Go to your "PATHFINDER" window and hit "UNITE"

Do the same to your black.

If you want 2 colors leave it like that, If you want one color make sure the white is on top of the black, select both the black and the white and go to "PATHFINDER" > "SUBTRACT FROM SHAPE AREA" (top row, second button from the left) the unite and viola...