• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Using Lexel For Acrylic Letters

medavez

I'm attaching 14" tall, .375" thick, laser-cut acrylic letters to 6MM Alumalite panel for an outdoor install.

I've always worked with stud-mount Gemini letters, but you guys talk up this Lexel product so much, I would like to try attaching them to the Alumalite with no studs.

Will it really hold for the long term?

What would be best prep for both letter and substrate?

Any info or experience is appreciated. Thanks...

visual800

i would sand the hell out of the back of the acrylic and wipe with alcohol. Acrylic is notorius for not holding on to an adhesive

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Lexel has a very similar smell as the glue you would use on model cars - I'm guessing it shares similar ingredients that aid in its adhesion to plastics. It actually 'etches' the surface of acrylic and polycarbonate and 'welds' to it. There's zero way it's separating once cured (you'd need a grinder), unlike silicone which can often be peeled right off of those materials.

bigben

Sorry to hijack this tread. But I have to fix 1/4 thick by 3in high aluminum letter to an acrylic sheet for interior use. It's the first time I'm using Lexel and after one hour I can still move the letter a bit (like 1 millimeter). Is it normal?

Billct2

Lexel takes longer than an hour to cure, probably more like 24 hours. Which is why I usually use it in combination with some VHB tape.

bigben

Lexel takes longer than an hour to cure, probably more like 24 hours. Which is why I usually use it in combination with some VHB tape.

So If I let the sign flat with the letters for about 24h, would it be rock solid after that? If so, I will plan my install in 2 days then just to be safe.

rossmosh

So If I let the sign flat with the letters for about 24h, would it be rock solid after that? If so, I will plan my install in 2 days then just to be safe.

In the future, you really should use tape and adhesive or even just tape in this circumstance. I wouldn't count on Lexel being 100% cured after 24 hours.

bigben

In the future, you really should use tape and adhesive or even just tape in this circumstance. I wouldn't count on Lexel being 100% cured after 24 hours.

I would normally also use tape, but in this case, the letters are thinner than my tape. On the tube, it says tack free in 30min, cure firm in 2-4 days and totally in 1-2 weeks. I'm just hopping the ''wiggling'' will stop after 24 hours.

Billct2

I have used banner tape in a pinch. But I think you should be fine if the letters are that small. You can also put painters tape on them so they stay put till installed.

bigben

I have used banner tape in a pinch. But I think you should be fine if the letters are that small. You can also put painters tape on them so they stay put till installed.

Right now they are flat on the acrylic. No risk to fall.

FatCat

We did an install back in January with 1/4" acrylic letters (some were over 20" tall) and used VHB and Lexel to direct mount to a slightly textured exterior wall. Outside temps were around 20 degrees with a 20+ mph wind. It was the first time I had used Lexel, but nothing moved and everything still looks great today. I have now moved it up the chain in front of silicone as my "go to" exterior adhesive for stuff like that.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
They should be fine once the Lexel cures.

Short of removing the letters, cleaning the Lexel off, applying tape, reapplying Lexel and reinstalling the letters, your best bet is to let it sit as long as possible before disturbing it.

Got a pic?

Moze

Precision Sign Services
We did an install back in January with 1/4" acrylic letters (some were over 20" tall) and used VHB and Lexel to direct mount to a slightly textured exterior wall. Outside temps were around 20 degrees with a 20+ mph wind. It was the first time I had used Lexel, but nothing moved and everything still looks great today. I have now moved it up the chain in front of silicone as my "go to" exterior adhesive for stuff like that.

For stuff like that (if there's any question about the tape sticking due to the rough surface), I keep Loctite Power Grab in the van and will use all three: tape, Lexel and Power Grab. Power Grab does good at keeping it in place in the rare event the tape lets go. The tape and Power Grab together are more than sufficient to hold until the Lexel cures. Overkill, but I sleep better.

bigben

it's been a bit over 24 hours now. I can still wiggle the letters a bit but definitely stronger than yesterday. The install is in two days, I'm pretty sure it will be safe by then.

I like your loctite power grab idea. I'll give it a try in the future.