• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

USTech MVT-600 issue

SoIllsignman

I am 5 days into this Ustech Laminator and I almost have it running right. It showed up with the chain off it's sprockets. I think I got the chain too tight. With the laminator loaded, the roller all the way down, there is still a slight space between the rollers (they don't touch).
I have never used a laminator so I don't know what is right and wrong. When I laminate it is silvering.
-Could be the Grimco Brite-line laminator on the brite-line vinyl.
-Could be because not enough pressure due to above issue.

I spoke with Dave at Ustech and said the silvering is normal and will go away.
This just doesn't seem right. I will add pics of the situation. (Roller are let all the way down)

If you own one of these and can let me know if this is right or not. Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 247
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 246
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 231
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 254
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 230

Dennis422

Call Dave at USTech. He will email you the instructions and walk you through the steps.
I had the same issue when laminator was delivered. He helped me through, no issues since at all.

That thing happens in the transport. The chain gets loose and falls off or moves.
No big deal to fix.

Good luck

strypguy

I have the same laminator and had the same issue. Dave sent instructions to adjust. I do get some silvering especially with cheaper laminates. Shop temps will effect the silvering too in my experience. It will go away in a day or two. I think for the money, it's a great laminator when you get it dialed in. John

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Yup.... .need to adjust the upper roller level and get the chain tension right.

The silvering just looks like what is expected using cheap calendared laminate which does go away on its own after a while. The only fix for that is using a laminator with heat assist or using a higher end laminate.

SoIllsignman

Call Dave at USTech. He will email you the instructions and walk you through the steps.
I had the same issue when laminator was delivered. He helped me through, no issues since at all.

That thing happens in the transport. The chain gets loose and falls off or moves.
No big deal to fix.

Good luck

This is the adjustment that was made after speaking with Dave.... When it showed up the chain was off the sprocket on the right side and just hanging on the left.
He told us how it was suppose to go over the phone. We took a sprocket off on the left side and got everything the way it was suppose to go (the left side wasn't even lifting up at first)
He sent a video on how to load the laminate...but it was throwing bubbles and wrinkles in it. Finally we leveled it. So,...now ....If you look at my pics....when loaded with material and down all the way
the chain is tight and there is a gap...the gap could be from the laminate. I just thought since the roller was so heavy that there would not be a space.

Dave said at first that there should be some slack...but then he said if the only thing is the silvering then it is ok.

So, by looking at the picture...With the roller all the way down, should there still be a gap on either side? Should there be slack in the chain?

SoIllsignman

This was laminated 5 days ago. It is not going away.
Is it the Brite-line laminate from Grimco or is it a pressure issue?

BTW...Thanks for the help....This can be so frustrating.

Attachments

• IMG_5662.jpg
    IMG_5662.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 236

Drip Dry

I think the silvering is a pressure issue. If you run your fingernail across the affected area, you'll find it probably comes out.
It usually comes out on it's own overnight, so if it's 5 days then I don't know. I don't have this machine but, I don't think there should be a space. If the chain lowers the roller, and it's loose, then the the rollers should have maximum pressure. There must be something else holding the rollers apart.

I realize this machine is inexpensive, and it was one that I looked at when buying a new one, but we decided on the GFP.
Yes, it was much more expensive, but it did come with setup and a days worth of on site training. We've had it for about 4 years and runs as flawlessly as the day we got it.

Not bashing, and I know you can't send it back, but maybe a future buyer may want to consider spending a little more to get a better machine.

greysquirrel

Silvering will not go away...always use heat when applying pressure sensitive laminate...if my laminator arrived damaged I'd send it back or at least have a tech onsite to repair...I would go with a GFP...

strypguy

By the looks of your picture it's not adjusted correctly. You need to get the roller level and there can't be any space. The weight of the roller will laminate your prints evenly. When the roller meets the bottom roller there should be just enough play in the chain to allow all the weight to be distributed evenly. Don't give up. I laminated over 200ft a couple days after I received and adjusted mine. It works well when it's adjusted correctly. John

Desert_Signs

Silvering will not go away...always use heat when applying pressure sensitive laminate...if my laminator arrived damaged I'd send it back or at least have a tech onsite to repair...I would go with a GFP...

Yes, it will.

I've never used heat, ever.

Stay in your lane.

SoIllsignman

Alright kids..... here is what happened,

I went back in and put some slack on the chains to allow more pressure. I ran the laminate (BriteLine UV shield Intermediate) through and...same thing!
So, I used sample laminate that came with the printer (3M 8518 performance) almost no silvering! I am pretty sure what little silvering there is will disappear.

I have attached a pic of the 2. Spidey is the performance and Daredevil's crotch is the intermediate.

So, I am going to purchase ad different laminate.

So, what laminate are you using for your standard printing?

Attachments

• IMG_5664.jpg
    IMG_5664.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG_5665.jpg
    IMG_5665.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 232

AF

Bubbles won't go away. Silvering will eventually but is usually an indicator of problems with material, tooling or technique. Roll the silvered print tightly on a core for a few hours to speed up the process. Heat assist makes a huge difference. With heat you can deliver on the spot, without heat you will have to wait for the silvering to fade. Shame the laminator needed a rebuild out of the box. Calibration can change if you move the unit around so be prepared to recalibrate periodically.

trakers

There should not be any space between ur rollers when they are fully lowered.
Below is a photo I just took of ours with the rollers lowered. You can see a little slack on both sides of the chain. Our chain had jumped off the sprocket when it arrived as well.

We typically use 3M 8508 for everyday stuff. Never had silvering. Shop kept at 70 most of the time. Also used a roll of cheap calendered Lamex that came with the printer. No silvering there either.

Attachments

• lamdelete.jpg
    lamdelete.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 241

Desert_Signs

Alright kids..... here is what happened,

I went back in and put some slack on the chains to allow more pressure. I ran the laminate (BriteLine UV shield Intermediate) through and...same thing!
So, I used sample laminate that came with the printer (3M 8518 performance) almost no silvering! I am pretty sure what little silvering there is will disappear.

I have attached a pic of the 2. Spidey is the performance and Daredevil's crotch is the intermediate.

So, I am going to purchase ad different laminate.

So, what laminate are you using for your standard printing?

I typically use oracal 210g for standard stuff. But I haven't had any problems with the briteline products, general formulations dry erase, Avery 1060, etc etc etc.

I'm almost wondering if your problem is tension on the lam before it goes in the nip. Since 8518 is softer/stretchier maybe there's enough tension, but the thicker calendered stuff needs a little more.

SoIllsignman

There should not be any space between ur rollers when they are fully lowered.
Below is a photo I just took of ours with the rollers lowered. You can see a little slack on both sides of the chain. Our chain had jumped off the sprocket when it arrived as well.

We typically use 3M 8508 for everyday stuff. Never had silvering. Shop kept at 70 most of the time. Also used a roll of cheap calendered Lamex that came with the printer. No silvering there either.

ABOVE AND BEYOND!! Thanks! Removing the cover and taking a pic!!..THANKS!

I sent images to Grimco along with the LOT# of the Laminate (per their request). They think it may be a bad patch.

I will let you guys know. THANKS!

reQ

Used cheap briteline overlam once... had same issue - silvering allover, thats why i don't use it anymore. And no, it was not going away either (waited whole week on a test piece)