• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

UV & Eco solvent printer in the same room

ikarasu

Get a new installer if he doesnt even know that?

We have UV, Solvent, Latex, and Screen print in the same room... why would it make a difference? So long as you have proper power requirements you're fine.

netsol

Get a new installer if he doesnt even know that?

We have UV, Solvent, Latex, and Screen print in the same room... why would it make a difference? So long as you have proper power requirements you're fine.

hopefully, no one from the senseless over-regulation group of the new biden administration follows our forum. that suggestion could trigger a wole slew of new restrictions (and possibly a new tax)

StratoJet

Merchant Member
I guess you should ask why he thinks so?!

In a perfect world, any degassing toxics (VOCs) should be vented and filtered (anything with solvents: solvent, eco-solvent, latex). For UV, check with the ink manufacturer to see if they add solvents, not common, but some UV inks smell very bad and you might want to vent.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
I know when we first got our Oce they recommended not having it in the same room as true solvent printers.

At the time we had 2 Roland eco-sol machines and they said it wasn't an issue.

But as mentioned, you'll want at look at venting and/or cleaning the air. UV printers stink, plain and simple.

MelloImagingTechnologies

Many years in the Production Business
You can definitely mix those in the same room.
The most importance is cleanliness.
So try not to setup a router/cutter in the same room unless you're only using it only for blade cutting and not routing.
Temperature and humidity are also important.
Most of my customers do all there printing in the same space. Solvent, UV, Latex and Dye Sub.
I like the note from ikarasu- You should buy from a dealer who knows what they are doing.

rjssigns

UV Flatbed, Indigo, three solvent roll to roll and one aqueous in the lab. Roll to roll printers are in the wrap bay but the access doors are never closed.
Zero issues and the equipment is run hard.

Superior_Adam

I know when we first got our Oce they recommended not having it in the same room as true solvent printers.

At the time we had 2 Roland eco-sol machines and they said it wasn't an issue.

But as mentioned, you'll want at look at venting and/or cleaning the air. UV printers stink, plain and simple.
Not sure what UV printers you have been around but we run 2 and there is virtually zero odor on our 2 EFI machines.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Your installer is probably a fussy eater, too. His potatoes can't touch his peas and the meat can't touch anything else on the plate. Ya put it all in your mouth and it goes to the same place. It's all about ambience and the presentation.

CanuckSigns

hopefully, no one from the senseless over-regulation group of the new biden administration follows our forum. that suggestion could trigger a wole slew of new restrictions (and possibly a new tax)

Imagine being so obsessed that you turn every single topic of discussion political, man that would suck!

Troy Lesher

Merchant Member
Your installer is probably a fussy eater, too. His potatoes can't touch his peas and the meat can't touch anything else on the plate. Ya put it all in your mouth and it goes to the same place. It's all about ambience and the presentation.
I had a tech that worked with me at Roland years ago that was a STONE COLD VEGAN. drove me nuts!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Same difference.

Quickie...... Our flatbed tech guy is a vegetarian and it's always hard to please him. Last time we just said eat this and under our breath said 'or starve'. He ate and we never told him what all was in it. He liked it.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Not sure what UV printers you have been around but we run 2 and there is virtually zero odor on our 2 EFI machines.

We're running an Oce Arizona with 256 inkset and Mimaki UCJV with LUS-170 inkset - both smell awful. Have both of those and our Roland running Nazdar inks running all day and you can taste the ink when you walk in the room! Definitely need to invest in some better ventilation/air filtration.

rjssigns

We're running an Oce Arizona with 256 inkset and Mimaki UCJV with LUS-170 inkset - both smell awful. Have both of those and our Roland running Nazdar inks running all day and you can taste the ink when you walk in the room! Definitely need to invest in some better ventilation/air filtration.

Since you're way farther north than me talk to your HVAC guy about a HRV(heat recovery ventilator).

Not sure how the new print lab is set up but I recall something about the air exchange being 6 times per hour.

Inks

I guess you should ask why he thinks so?!

In a perfect world, any degassing toxics (VOCs) should be vented and filtered (anything with solvents: solvent, eco-solvent, latex). For UV, check with the ink manufacturer to see if they add solvents, not common, but some UV inks smell very bad and you might want to vent.
There are no solvents in UV inks however ground level ozone is a bi product of the curing process and is probably best vented out of the building. A sign of ground level ozone is you want to rub your eyes and may encounter breathing issues.

Inks

If UV inks do not totally cure there will be more odor. The odor is caused by free monomers that have not totally cross linked. Usually most UV inks post cure about 5%. If you are under cured too much they will not cure and you may have adhesion issues due to a soft ink film. This is based on free radical uv inks, Cationic ink that was initially used in LED curing technology will cure over time.