• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

UV Printing on Silicone wristbands...is possible??

tatotiburon

hi,

i'm trying to print on a silicone surface, is a usb wristband, on a mimaki ujf3042 but the ink always fall apart...is there a solution or it only work on tampograhpy with a special ink? i have the same problem with mobile cases and some acrylic

thanks

paperstrategies

UHhh

I also have a ujf-3042. I have produced countless custom watch bands, which are a similar material. When you attempt to print on a new substrate you should consider how smooth the substance is on a molecular level. If the molecules are too perfectly aligned the ink tends to not bond. To maximize the different materials we can print on, we've switched to the 200% flexible ink and purchased an "Application Promoter" because after switching to a flexible ink, we lost the ability to have primer in our ink system. Give AP3155 a google and see if you could benefit from it. I believe it eats a bit of the surface of a material and allows the ink to grab something when it cures. Must have for golf balls and the like!

tatotiburon

I also have a ujf-3042. I have produced countless custom watch bands, which are a similar material. When you attempt to print on a new substrate you should consider how smooth the substance is on a molecular level. If the molecules are too perfectly aligned the ink tends to not bond. To maximize the different materials we can print on, we've switched to the 200% flexible ink and purchased an "Application Promoter" because after switching to a flexible ink, we lost the ability to have primer in our ink system. Give AP3155 a google and see if you could benefit from it. I believe it eats a bit of the surface of a material and allows the ink to grab something when it cures. Must have for golf balls and the like!

thanks, very gratefull...how do you apply this promoter into the products? with a tishu or something?

agonuni

thanks, very gratefull...how do you apply this promoter into the products? with a tishu or something?
We use a similar adhesion promoter from OCE and what I found works best is to pour some adhesion promoter into a paint tray and use a smooth surface nap roller to apply. When I tried wiping it on with a lint free cloth I was getting visible streaks on the print. On a wrist band I would maybe dip it into the liquid? Or just try wiping it on as it's not such a huge area. Good luck man.

Signman001

Only silicone based inks will adhere onto silicone substrates. UV ink will not adheres onto silicone ink. You should print the substrate with UV ink and coat is with a silicone clear ink such as the Boston Industrial STC370 or SE 370 clear silicone ink. No primer or other liquids can aid ink adhesion onto silicone.

You can try:
- Print on the silicone substrate with UV ink
- Coat (spray or screen print) the substrate with silicone coating - this will require heat to cure. However, it will protect the print.