Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help UV Printing Onto Brushed ACM - Edges Chipping

Discussion in 'Flatbed Printers' started by Kimberly Hiles, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Kimberly Hiles

Kimberly Hiles DarkerKat

Feb 27, 2019
    Charlotte, NC
    Printer: HP FB750
    Stock Material: Brushed ACM (8031 AluPoly)

Sorry if this is a redundant thread, I flipped through a few similar discussions but couldn't find anything addressing this particular issue.

We've had issues for years with Full color full-bleed images chipping around the edges when we go to cut them on our cnc after printing. Prints sit for a full 24 hours before cutting and still chip around the cut edge. No issues on plain black or white ACM. We've resorted to clear coating all our prints but along with destroying the brushed look of the material, this doesn't necessarily stop the prints from chipping. We want to be able to do this in house because we have all the necessary equipment, any suggestions to prevent the chipped edges?

2. White Haus

White Haus Formally known as RJPW..........

Apr 6, 2018
    Winnipeg
    Have you tried any adhesion promoters? I'm not too familiar with the HP UV inksets but we've tried these with our Oce Arizona:

https://www.matthewspaint.com/getme...626c64e0/MPC322-plastic-prep-cleaner.pdf.aspx

https://www.supply55.com/adhesion-promoters-s/78.htm

https://www.mimakiinkjet.com/SPC-05...hazardous-material-no-air-shipping_p_130.html

Listed in order of harshness/effectiveness. Matthews I find is a step above just prepping w/ alcohol/water, but the Supply 55 and Mimaki are HARSH chemicals that drastically improve adhesion but will stink up your shop. Use carefully and with lots of ventilation and safety gear.

The only thing you can do aside from improving adhesion is to pre-cut, which since you're using a hybrid I'm going to assume isn't ideal.

Hope that helps.

• Like Like x 1
  3. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Are you using an upcut bit?
    What size bit and how fast is it turning, how fast is the router moving?
    Totally different example here, but I find when cutting lexan with vinyl applied to it, if I go counterclockwise, the vinyl 'lifts' less off the edges, making cleanup easier than if I had gone in the clockwise direction defined by the router bit and spindle direction. Perhaps run a print and cut a line straight through it and see if it has a better finished edge on one side or the other.

4. Kimberly Hiles

Kimberly Hiles DarkerKat

Feb 27, 2019
    Charlotte, NC
    Honestly, not sure. I'll check with our CNC guy, thanks for the suggestion.

5. Kimberly Hiles

Kimberly Hiles DarkerKat

Feb 27, 2019
    Charlotte, NC
    I don't think any were used on this job. for regular acm we seem to be able to skip them but they might be worth looking into for the brushed material. Thx!

6. Superior_Adam

Superior_Adam Member

Dec 13, 2017
    Wichita, Kansas
    we print/route regularly on the brushed material. Make sure your bit is sharp.

7. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    You can also try a downcut bit instead, so the chips are not 'thrown' upward.

8. bowtievega

bowtievega Member

Mar 2, 2015
    Gilbert, AZ
    We cut our printed ACM with a single flute down cut but, never have chipping issues. We have a mimaki flatbed and use their primer when printing, makes a huge difference with adhesion. We clear coat a lot of our prints so those get scuffed before printing as well.

9. CMYKENGINEERING

CMYKENGINEERING Member

Jul 29, 2015
    Santa Monica
    Promoter is a great suggestion, though some UV inks do not require it to adhere well to ACM. Do you print white on the ACM?

10. Pr1nth3@d1357

Pr1nth3@d1357 New Member

Jun 4, 2019
    Portland, oregon

11. Pr1nth3@d1357

Pr1nth3@d1357 New Member

Jun 4, 2019
    Portland, oregon
    Hello, I run an old Anapurna M1600. Had the same issue. We started bumping up the UV lamp settings to 7, shot white first, (large choke) and no problems now. We're also had to make sure our router bit was in good condition. Hope this helps.

12. Bly

Bly Very Active Member

Mar 9, 2004
    Sydney
    How about kiss cutting the path before routing?