• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

UV Varnish users.

Bly

We are trading our Oce 360 GT for a 660 XT and need to decide whether to have 2x white or 1 white and 1 varnish in the 5th and 6th channels.
I've heard varnish can be problematic to lay down without getting spoiled by dust specks.
We don't have a dedicated closed off print room so it'll be tough to have a climate controlled positive air pressure climate for the machine. We have an open space, high ceiling area with air con though. Fairly small area about 200 sq metres.
Anyone care to share their own experience printing varnish?

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
I've heard the same about the varnish... and maintenance is supposed to be even worse than keeping the pesky white channel clean.
No first hand info for you though, only what I've seen on here.

Bly

My sales rep said maintenance is easier because there's no pigment in the ink which makes sense.
It's mainly the dust thing which is a concern.

Kustom X

We have a Roland LEJ 640ft and the varnish is by far easier to maintain then the white. Also we never flood coat with the varnish, we use ClearShield production clear for that. The varnish is used for embossing and spot gloss. Since gloss varnish is cured slower than the CMYK it does have the problem of having dust clinging to it. All I can say is keep the print and room as dust free as possible. I work in a pressurized clean room and still will get dust every once in awhile, it’s just the nature of the beast.

Last edited:

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Nice upgrade to a 660.
I've had varnish. Wasn't much use for us so went double white. Not hard to change really so if you want to try it and change over its easy.

I have a clean room so I don't get much dust in it.
Imo try it and If you don't like it change over.

Bly

Thanks guys.
It would be for value adding to prints with spot gloss effect.
I'll have to look into ways of minimising the dust in our environment.
Worst case would be switching it back to white.
Sounds like to do that it's just plugging the white in and doing a few purges.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Thanks guys.
It would be for value adding to prints with spot gloss effect.
I'll have to look into ways of minimising the dust in our environment.
Worst case would be switching it back to white.
Sounds like to do that it's just plugging the white in and doing a few purges.

IICR you need to buy the flush bag kit.

I couldn't find much use for it when we first got it, i did some random stuff with it. If i had it now, i know more things i could do with it but i use double white more often, much more often

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Spoke with Chris from Oce today. Yep, just a $400 flush bag (or was it 2?) and you can go from white back to varnish.
He also confirms what you heard about varnish not being harder to clean. Apparently "other" brands of varnish can be a pain in the bum.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Spoke with Chris from Oce today. Yep, just a $400 flush bag (or was it 2?) and you can go from white back to varnish.
He also confirms what you heard about varnish not being harder to clean. Apparently "other" brands of varnish can be a pain in the bum.

That's for 1 bag. Yep varnish was easy to clean.