• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

v12 to X5 = Roland colors black

Colin

I've upgraded from CorelDraw 12 to a brand spanking new X5, and all of the files from v12 which had the colors from the "Roland Color Pallette" applied, are now black! Any other colors which were applied such as RGB, CMYK or Pantone are ok.

Any ideas on this?

signage

Do you have the color files from roland for the X5 version? I think that it has to do with color management and the palettes.

Colin

Do you have the color files from roland for the X5 version? I think that it has to do with color management and the palettes.

Not sure what you mean. Corel X5 comes with the Roland color pallette.

I just clicked on one of the contours that have been turned to black, and it's showing 0 0 0 0 for CMYK values, so that tells me that it's not reading it properly at all.

Colin

Ya, I've thought of that being a fix. I wonder if it would add a whole new pallette, or over-write the one they put in X5?

Colin

I've also informed my Roland dealer about this, and he'll do some digging. I'll give an update when I find out more.

Colin

Gah! I tried it again with one particular file. I made sure all the contours were closed, applied a RVW color, saved it, and then brought it into the other (new) computer in X5 and sure enough, it was black.

When I click on it, the color info at the bottom right of the screen says: "100% unknown color".

Again, X5 has the RVW pallette built in. What is going on here?

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Colin what palette are you using.
When I make the roland versaworks spot color palette visible in my copy of X5 it only shows 4 color swatches.

The Roland color library shows what looks like a complete set with the colors named RVW-XXXX

Maybe X5 is referencing the wrong roland palette.
Have you tried to copy the Roland palette from your older working X12 version into X5 as a custom palette?

wayne k
guam usa

Colin

I just bought my printer in December, so the VW software is the most recent, and the dealer helped me install the most recent RVW palette into Corel 12.

I suspect that installing that same palette into X5 might just be what is required. But what's with the claim by Corel and Roland that it's already part of X5?

When I apply a RVW color to a contour in X5, it does display that color no problem, it's just my old v12 files with RVW colors that are coming up black.

I can't check the number of colors on the RVW palette in X5 right now as I just turned that machine off and I have to go out right now.

...back in a few hours

Colin

I just spoke with tech support at Roland. He had me export a file (which had the RVW spot color) from v12 as an EPS, and import it into X5, and the RVW color coding remained intact. So it appears that it's something within CorelDraw that is not translating the data/coding.

Hmmmm, it's too much of a hassle to do that every time, so I'll try and phone TS at Corel.

Colin

Just spoke to Corel TS, and the issue lays within Corel, and there is no fix. I will install the same RVW palette that I installed into v12 (and give it a different name), and I'll let ya know how that goes.

Colin

Gah! So I find some time today to install the Roland Palette into X5 (as described here), and on step 2 there is no "Custom Spot Colors" listed or to be found!

How/where do I find the palette in X5?

strypguy

If your talking about the actual folder on the computer, mine is in:

program files(x86), corel, corelDRAW graphics suite X5, color, palettes, spot, roland.

John

Colin

No, given the problem described at the beginning of this thread, I'm attempting to import a new RVW color palette. (I'm assuming it takes it from VW).

I'll be giving it a different name so as to identifiy it and differentiate it from the one which comes built in X5.

My hope is that this new RVW palette will recognize the RVW color codes in the v12 Corel files which I open, and not turn them to black like it does now.

Last edited:

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
You should be able to just locate the roland palette and open it instead of importing the colors into the custom spot color palette.
One thing I noticed is that palette files in X5 are .xml files instead of .cpl as in x3.
See if Roland offers their latest palette in this format and just copy to the same directory as the other spots.
They should show up in the list of spot color palettes then.

wayne k
guam usa

Colin

Dang. In the Palette Editor window, I selcted the "New Palette" option which then gave me the option of accessing my computer, and then selected C: / Program Files (x86) / Roland VersaWorks / Swatch / CorelDraw

....but there were no xml files. Nothing.

:help