• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vacuum plastic forming

ams

So I've been learning about vacuum plastic forming and know how to do it. However I am confused with how to create the object to actually form from. Such as Gemini's formed plastic logos. They have details and at only $84, I doubt they are making a hard copy out of something expensive to create the object to make into formed plastic.

I know you can do it with CNC routing such as wood objects and all, but what's the cheap way of making a design and then vacuum forming it?

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
As stated above, your pattern letters can not be plastic or they will warp or melt into your substrate. The ones I have seen in the past were either wood or aluminum.

If you plan to make your own pattern on a router, make sure you put enough draft angle on the sides to prevent them from sticking.

JB

Kottwitz-Graphics

We always used mdf, but I remember a thick sheet, something like 1.5"...

The forms are the cheapest part of the process. The ovens are the expense.