• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

ValueJet 1614 maintenance station replacement

CheapVehicleWrap

Has anyone ever come across instructions for replacing the maintenance station on a 64" ValueJet 1614? Or even the capping station? I've looked pretty hard. I know I'll need to replace it at some point, but I'd like to at least remove it and clean it as some ink has spilled down below and I don't want solvent in the gears etc. It doesn't look extremely difficult although a right angle screwdriver looks to be handy. The case design looks intentionally designed to make it difficult to access a consumable part.

CheapVehicleWrap

Well so far 16 people are interested...i expect many more.

So, The head doesn't actually sit inside the capping station even when in the low position does it? I'm seeing about 1/8 inch clearance. So it wouldn't matter if the head was high or low in standby as air would get to it either way.

I had unclogged the head a few days ago and had waste from cleaning go to tank. It's no longer going to the tank. Recently read that cloth should cover the seals on the capping station when unclogging, I was afraid to do that and kept cloth inside the seals to prevent head contact which worked well.

Stealth Ryder

Yes, the Head should cap tightly on the black rubber seal that surrounds the Cap Top...

There are instructions for this procedure although it is really not needed. There are 6 screws to remove, disconnect the drain tubes and remove. This usually takes me less that 10 minutes from start to finish...

CheapVehicleWrap

ohh now that signature is really getting to me :)

I've removed 6 screws just to get access to the station. Removing the big metal cover that hides the drain tubes. Of course these tubes couln't be any smaller in length and worse.. the ends on the station are BLACK not clear!

Any way to remove those tubes without breaking anything? looks like there's a clip with a screw. I'd rather not have to remove the maintenance station. Maybe I'm being over cautious here, but I'd rather spend time and not mess anything up. I have filled the capping station with cleaning fluid and it just evaporates, not going into the waste tubes. I'll keep filling until further comments as I have gotten the waste to flow this way before.

ok, looks like the head may seal after all..kinda hard to see.

On a good note, where there's ink there's actually supposed to be... there's a little trough underneath the wiper.. nowhere near the pump either. Got that good out. Just want to see ink going into the tank during cleaning cycle.

Last edited:

Sigma

OK, I'm going to revive this thread as my prelim intro, LOL. I'll make a formal HELLO later, I promise.

My boss just purchased a used Mutoh 1614. It started off fine, then lost some nozzles, then lost all of the M and Y. So, I called some tech guys, and most said, replace your Maintenance Unit.

OK, no instructions come with it, but it can't be that hard, right? I get the front panels off, got the 2 front screws off, but...

the back screws were put in from underneath?!?!?

I cannot see how to get a screwdriver back there to remove those last 2 screws from under the maintenance station. I've removed the back panel, side panel, no access.

Any ideas? Am I missing something totally right in front of my face?

HELP!

tgrinds

Also, make sure that the proper brackets are holding the maintenance assembly correctly. This may require taking brackets off the old one and placing them on the new one. Glad it's working though.

Sigma

It's not, tho, at least not yet. I still have to get those back screws off to replace the unit. That is where I'm stuck at.

henryp

OK, I'm going to revive this thread as my prelim intro, LOL. I'll make a formal HELLO later, I promise.

My boss just purchased a used Mutoh 1614. It started off fine, then lost some nozzles, then lost all of the M and Y. So, I called some tech guys, and most said, replace your Maintenance Unit.

OK, no instructions come with it, but it can't be that hard, right? I get the front panels off, got the 2 front screws off, but...

the back screws were put in from underneath?!?!?

I cannot see how to get a screwdriver back there to remove those last 2 screws from under the maintenance station. I've removed the back panel, side panel, no access.

Any ideas? Am I missing something totally right in front of my face?

HELP!

The rear part of the maintenance unit is screwed to an angled bracket. Undo the 2 screws holding that bracket to the mounting plate and the whole assembly can be taken out. Then you can unscrew the screws from underneath.