• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Valujet - White sticky residue in waste ink tray

benblitz

Hello,

We have a Mutoh Valujet 1204. Normally when we replace the waste ink tray, rather than buy a new one each time we clean out the old one and tell the machine that there is a new one in there. When we went to replace the full waste ink tray today we noticed that there was a white sticky residue on the tray, obviously this not happening before I had a look where the ink tray goes and noticed that there was more of this sticky (glue like) substance stuck to the top of where the tray sits, which seems to be blocking or clogging the system up as I also noticed that the capping system looked to be submerged under a small layer of ink.

Has anyone experienced this problem before with a white sticky substance? If so where am I going wrong and how can I resolve this problem.

Thanks.

artbot

the white sticky is most likely moisture entrapped thus fogging and coagulating with the resins in the ink. ....have i seen this before in a printer? no. but i've seen it in stored polyesters, epoxies, etc.

chrisphilipps

Merchant Member
This is probably caused by ink getting onto the plastic cover that is above the waste box. When enough of the solvent ink gets on this plastic it starts to melt it. I have seen this before at one of our customers and I have attached a picture of what it did. You can see in the image that the plastic has completely dissolved.

Attachments

• 2010-06-22 17.02.51.jpg
    2010-06-22 17.02.51.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 213

artbot

it seems strange that the hulls of these solvent resistant printers are not solvent resistant. that is nasty!

Stealth Ryder

Hello,

We have a Mutoh Valujet 1204. Normally when we replace the waste ink tray, rather than buy a new one each time we clean out the old one and tell the machine that there is a new one in there. When we went to replace the full waste ink tray today we noticed that there was a white sticky residue on the tray, obviously this not happening before I had a look where the ink tray goes and noticed that there was more of this sticky (glue like) substance stuck to the top of where the tray sits, which seems to be blocking or clogging the system up as I also noticed that the capping system looked to be submerged under a small layer of ink.

Has anyone experienced this problem before with a white sticky substance? If so where am I going wrong and how can I resolve this problem.

Thanks.

Why replace the tray? change the pads (2 A Pads & 1 B Pad) when needed, usually about every 3 months. If ink is splashing up and around onto the plastic covers something just ain't right... The pads & flat plastic piece must by installed correctly or you can create much larger problems...

I have been running the machines for years now and have never seen anything like that...

Victoria

This is probably caused by ink getting onto the plastic cover that is above the waste box. When enough of the solvent ink gets on this plastic it starts to melt it. I have seen this before at one of our customers and I have attached a picture of what it did. You can see in the image that the plastic has completely dissolved.
Hello,

I realize this post is 7 years old but I just encountered the same issue, it did not completely get dissolved, but started to melt. I searched for that part (the whole outer panel) and couldn't find it anywhere. Would you now by any chance what could be done to save our printer?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
It's not worth it to change the cover. I priced one out the other day for a customer and it was around $250. Just cut off any plastic that may be getting in the way of reinstalling the tray and forget about it.

RG

I'd say, forget the tray. The tray is a PITA. One of the first things I did to my 1204 about 4 years ago was to throw the tray away and put a wast ink bottle under where the tray was. Of course, I also had to put in a drain tube for the spit box. The hole was already in the frame for the pump tube to go down into a wast ink bottle. And, there's another hole right under the spit box. Problem solved.

boxerbay

Solvent ink will eat anything. I have received ink cartridges for my Epson GS6000 where it seems the box got compressed and cracked the cartridge allowing the ink the come out but since there is a safety outer bag it kept all the ink in the bag. well the bag was a complete bag of gooey ink colored slime with a few metal parts in it. it looked like the blob.

Victoria

Thank you for your responses everyone, I ended up taking the tray out and fully drying everything. It seems to go in fine, it's kind of tough to pull it out. but everything works. I've spoken to signwarehouse, they said I could order the whole panel for $69, part # is DE-12552 if anyone ever needs one. I will probably order one just on case it gets worse