• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vandal Resistant Carved Sign Material

Billct2

I have a bid to get out tomorrow to replace some existing carved signs we did years ago. Some will be patched, repainted & reinstalled.
But there is one that is 15lb HDU mounted low on a brick wall. It has been severely abused. It's been whached with sticks, hit with rocks, scratched with knives etc. It's right on the sidewalk and also it's the school bus stop. The customer wants something more resistant to damage.
I was thinking of a hardcoat on top of HDU or maybe 1" PVC instead of HDU. I realize nothing will be able to withstand all the abuse, just want something that will hold up better.
Anyone have any suggestions or experience they could share with this issue?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Surround it with an electric fence and put landmines around the perimeter. Other than that, re-locate it to where it's not at an hangout for inner city kids.

SignManiac

I've had good success with ColorCore in the past. Only drawback is the limitede choice of color combinations and detail that you may need when carving. Here's one I did about five years ago in a water park setting with thousands of kids that can mess with it. To date, no vandalism. Originally they had Gemini letters attached to the wall and the kids yanked them off within two weeks.

Attachments

• WaterPlay.jpg
    WaterPlay.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 78

Jackpine

+1 I've used this also and it has lasted very well.
I've had good success with ColorCore in the past. Only drawback is the limitede choice of color combinations and detail that you may need when carving. Here's one I did about five years ago in a water park setting with thousands of kids that can mess with it. To date, no vandalism. Originally they had Gemini letters attached to the wall and the kids yanked them off within two weeks.

Billct2

Yea Yea, I know, claymores would be nice, but colorcore looks interesting.
If the color isn't available can it be painted?

Marlene

redwood or cedar instead of HDU? (then put out some really mean dogs and angry skunks along with the land mines)

visual800

you DO NOT paint colorcore, its a 2 layer material that route down into. people kill me with all this vandal free crap. Im with jhill, make it out steel!

SignManiac

Bill that is one of the nice features of colorcore, it can't be painted. Therefore no graffiti problems. The only way it "could" be damaged, is if some smart little chithead figured out he could carve into it with a knife.

The best solution is to try and move the sign somewhere out of reach if possible or install higher off the ground.

There is not really anything that is indestructible if they're hell bent on destroying it.

SD&F

I agree with Marlene. The majority of my business is HDU and if I have an area that the customer says is prone to vandals, or they come back because of vandalism, I go with wood. I feel that is the only solution to the problem.

tbullo

Superunknown
We use the color core as well for this use. You can not paint it. What we do if additional colors are needed is to route in about 3/8 and then fill with West epoxy using 207 hardener and a little 1shot. Have done many golf tee signs like this with no problems.

Billct2

Thanks all. I quoted it using colorcore. One of the color combos was close to the existing design.

GB2

Old Member
Bill, Corian would be the thing for that job. I have a good contact for subbing it out if you are interested and if it isn't too late.

CES020

How about just a higher pound HDU? I even saw 60 lb recently. That stuff is dense! I don't think a stick or a rock is going to damage that stuff.

30 lb might be enough, I'd have to try it on a sample.

k.a.s.

You can't paint color core, but I have filled routed areas with PB resin to add another color.

Kevin

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
You could use that silicate bronze stuff they use on 'metal' plaques now with cnc routers ... strong as metal, but half the weight of real bronze.

either that or you can on shaq to use his kazaam powers to make it impervious to idiots.

really though ... height is the only real way to prevent damage ... if they have to reach up ... they probably won't destroy it. (unless they really really want to.) :thumb: