• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vehicle Magnet Edge Curling

Darryn

Hi,

I am having an issue when making up vehicle magnets. I would have thought this would've come up on the forums earlier but can't find anything so I apologize if it's already been discussed.

I am printing eco-solvent direct to Magnum digimag 30mil and then overlaminating with orafol 210. After a few days the edges are starting to curl up as if the overlam is shrinking, and I think some previous work I have done has curled quite a bit after some aging and sun on darker colors.
At first I thought maybe it's just that I needed to let the darker colors outgas more than 24 hours, but on this last job I let them outgas for almost a week.
Magnum said I should not bother overlaminating but I don't think that's a great idea due to the road salt, dirt and harsh environment. They also mentioned making sure that I have low tension when laminating.

I am applying the laminate using the big squeegee. Also on the most recent job it was near the end of the roll for the laminate so maybe it is more curly? The edges of the magnet are curling around the entire perimeter though and not just on 2 of the 4 sides.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Darryn

jfiscus

Rap Master
210 is the problem, search this forum for Oracal laminate issues. 210 is calendared so its going to shrink (curl the edges) and it also burns over printed areas.

KMC

Graphic Artist
210 is the problem, search this forum for Oracal laminate issues. 210 is calendared so its going to shrink (curl the edges) and it also burns over printed areas.
i didnt know this about 210 lam thanks :)

gnemmas

I don't think it is the laminate problem here. We UV printed direct on the Magnum mags, when dark colors, such as black or blue bleed to the edge, the vinyl will separate from the magnet, curving from the edge.

I'm new to laminates and did some experiments with Oraguard 200 and 210. 200 glossy curled up pretty bad with oracal 3164, 210 semi-matte is so-so, 200 matte does not curl whatsoever. Just my 2¢

Off: just for fun I printed full coverage rich black with mimaki ss21 ink and laminated immediately just to see how outgassing will ruin the print but after 3 days I have to say that I see no problem...did I do something ...wrong? :confused:

Last edited:

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
What they mentioned above about it not being the right material, plus wait a minimum of 24 hours before laminating. I'm sure some will disagree with me about the need to wait, but it's what Oracal (and most manufacturers besides) recommend for any sort of solvent inks. (Yes, I realize the link is to 210, but the time frame they give is the same for the 290, too)

2B

While the lamination 210 can and does shrink. We had issues with Magnum Magnets over the years and switched to CarSafe brand. A lot of the issues stopped when this happened

signlynx

Hi,

I am having an issue when making up vehicle magnets. I would have thought this would've come up on the forums earlier but can't find anything so I apologize if it's already been discussed.

I am printing eco-solvent direct to Magnum digimag 30mil and then overlaminating with orafol 210. After a few days the edges are starting to curl up as if the overlam is shrinking, and I think some previous work I have done has curled quite a bit after some aging and sun on darker colors.
At first I thought maybe it's just that I needed to let the darker colors outgas more than 24 hours, but on this last job I let them outgas for almost a week.
Magnum said I should not bother overlaminating but I don't think that's a great idea due to the road salt, dirt and harsh environment. They also mentioned making sure that I have low tension when laminating.

I am applying the laminate using the big squeegee. Also on the most recent job it was near the end of the roll for the laminate so maybe it is more curly? The edges of the magnet are curling around the entire perimeter though and not just on 2 of the 4 sides.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Darryn
We'd nearly always print to vinyl and laminate it before applying you magnet material. We've never had a problem. But be sure you're using a heavy quality magnetic material.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

gnemmas

While the lamination 210 can and does shrink. We had issues with Magnum Magnets over the years and switched to CarSafe brand. A lot of the issues stopped when this happened

Like I posted earlier, we UV printed on the Magnum, no lamination, and the vinyl on the magnet separated from the brown magnet material. It Is the Magnum problem.