• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Vehicle Vinyl Removal Issue

CanDoASign4U

Removing some old vinyl lettering from a couple of doors of a dark blue truck today and ran into a problem I had never experienced. Once the vinyl and the adhesive was removed there was glaze left over. Thought it might be ghosting so I used some Ghost Off. Not the case. Anyone ever experienced this issue and is there a fix? Trying to install a new logo but this will definitely be seen if I cannot fix.

Billct2

yep, if the vinyl was on there a while it's a good ghost. I'll try buffing with polish compound, but it's risky, especially on dark colors. You end up needing to do the whole door, then the fender looks noticeably duller....

Pippin Decals

I just did a toy hauler that had the same issue on the big rear door..Customer took it to a body shop and could not get it to go away. It was buffed etc. Its just the way it is unless it gets repainted. Whatever vinyl was on there before really did a mess. It looks like the old vinyl's adhesive had actually embossed into the paint like removing a layer of skin on your arm.. Really weird. Luckily the design i did for them 40"x40" was enough to keep your eyes focused on the new design instead of the old .

CanDoASign4U

Thanks everyone for all your help! Learned something from this little experience. The decal was originally installed in 2013 and it had a ¼" red outline in cast vinyl around a name. The red outline had started to lift slightly allowing dirt and grime underneath in spots. The remaining graphic was still adherring well to the door. Since it was super hot that day I chose not to use the heat gun, opting to just use a little plastic chizler and adhesive remover initially to remove all the vinyl. Upon reflection, I think that I should have washed the graphic beforehand to clear as much of the dirt and grime as possible before trying to remove the vinyl. My belief is that by not removing them I actually scratched the surface of the door as I removed the vinyl and adhesive. Followed this procedure on the other door and it worked out well although the vinyl was only lifting slightly; wash, heat gun, little chisler only as necessary and alcohol (no adhesive remover) to remove those graphics. Still have a slight ghost image but buffed out the first door and all ended well with the new graphics installed.