• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vehicle Wrap DPI, how to manage customer expectations

ADuke

I am working on a vehicle graphics design where the customer would like to have a raster image printed large on the side of a landscaping trailer. The image they supplied was 300 (12" x 18") dpi but when I blow it up to the finished size (24" x 145") the dpi is only 38. I printed a sample 5" x 54" piece for the customer to show them that it would be pixelated (it actually didn't look too bad to me) and explained that most vehicle graphics are viewed from 10' or more away and as people are driving by so the resolution does not have to be as great. The said they would look for other artwork but they are struggling to find something with a higher resolution. They have now asked us if we could print and install the rest of the graphics and do the image part at a later date. We could, but then that means we are bringing 4 trailers back and forth to the shop twice and it uses more material when printing because we can no longer nest the pieces together.

Has anyone ran into this issue with a customer before? How do I help the customer get to the finish line without causing more headache for us both? Is there a stock image site you would recommend with high resolution (preferably free) images that work for vehicle wraps? I tried re-sampling the image in photoshop (I know it's a design no-no but not sure what else to do) and it looks about the same. looking for advise, suggestions and tips.

Thank you!

fresh

I use Adobe Stock for images, but I doubt you'll get anything much higher res than you already have. 38dpi sounds about right for a large image.

Here are my thoughts: 1. Suggest they look at other wraps with LARGE images close-up. I'm not sure where you can direct them, maybe to someone's parking lot or a job site, but I'm sure they can find one if they really look. The image will most likely be printed in low-resolution, so they will be able to get an idea of what their trailer will look like.

2. If they decide to hold off on the image and install at a different time, you need to re-quote the job. My quotes are always based on doing the entire job in one shot, if they start doing things al la carte, the price increases.

ADuke

I use Adobe Stock for images, but I doubt you'll get anything much higher res than you already have. 38dpi sounds about right for a large image.

Here are my thoughts: 1. Suggest they look at other wraps with LARGE images close-up. I'm not sure where you can direct them, maybe to someone's parking lot or a job site, but I'm sure they can find one if they really look. The image will most likely be printed in low-resolution, so they will be able to get an idea of what their trailer will look like.

2. If they decide to hold off on the image and install at a different time, you need to re-quote the job. My quotes are always based on doing the entire job in one shot, if they start doing things al la carte, the price increases.

Thank you. I like that idea of having them look at other trailers with large images on them. We have not done any (this job would be our first) so we do not have anything we can direct them to that we have done...

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
You can also make a display that you can show them to illustrate what you are trying to get across. People just don't understand graphics when they aren't in the industry. But if you make a little display that shows the same image at different enlargements, they can see what you are trying to tell them.

GVP

We've used Perfect Resize on some 'pixelly' images - it does a fair job of making the perceived image appear better.

rjssigns

I've gone out and taken pictures of actual work done by the landscape company. What better way to showcase your work? Besides there will always be the folks that recognize stock images as just that. Any decent DSLR will get you more resolution than you need.

AKwrapguy

I am working on a vehicle graphics design where the customer would like to have a raster image printed large on the side of a landscaping trailer. The image they supplied was 300 (12" x 18") dpi but when I blow it up to the finished size (24" x 145") the dpi is only 38. I printed a sample 5" x 54" piece for the customer to show them that it would be pixelated (it actually didn't look too bad to me) and explained that most vehicle graphics are viewed from 10' or more away and as people are driving by so the resolution does not have to be as great. The said they would look for other artwork but they are struggling to find something with a higher resolution. They have now asked us if we could print and install the rest of the graphics and do the image part at a later date. We could, but then that means we are bringing 4 trailers back and forth to the shop twice and it uses more material when printing because we can no longer nest the pieces together.

Has anyone ran into this issue with a customer before? How do I help the customer get to the finish line without causing more headache for us both? Is there a stock image site you would recommend with high resolution (preferably free) images that work for vehicle wraps? I tried re-sampling the image in photoshop (I know it's a design no-no but not sure what else to do) and it looks about the same. looking for advise, suggestions and tips.

Thank you!

There are a few things that we have done in the past. One is print out or take a screen shot of the image at full size and send to the customer so that they can see the pixelation. Some customers don't really care as they have no real concept of the issue. If it is a issue you can arrange to hire a photographer to go take some pics, but if the client doesn't care about the image but wants a high quality one there are several sites you can go to. I have had pretty good luck with Shutterstock, you can also try Envato Elements as well. Non of these are free as you paying for the rights to use these images. If you looking for 'free' images where you don't have to pay for the rights to use them....I can't really help you with that.

rfulford

If you are blowing up a single image to 145" and getting 38 dpi, you are going to be hard pressed to find better. Thats 5510 pixels in width which means it probably came from a 24-megapixel camera if the resolution is native and not already interpolated. If they used a decent camera and the image is free from artifacts, I would double the resolution to 76 dpi and call it a day. Try some different interpolation modes in photoshop and see what you like. 72 dpi will yield good viewing at 4 feet or more which is plenty for a vehicle graphic. Below is the rule of thumb I use for viewing distances which takes a lot of guesswork out of these situations.

1' = 288 ppi
2' = 144 ppi
4' = 72 ppi
8' = 36 ppi

myront

CorelDRAW is best
Some images for our large wraps can be 30dpi but when we export the final we export at 150dpi. We've only had a hand full of customers who were just not "pleasable"

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
I've gone out and taken pictures of actual work done by the landscape company. What better way to showcase your work? Besides there will always be the folks that recognize stock images as just that. Any decent DSLR will get you more resolution than you need.
Shoot newer iPhones will get you what you need if you know how to use the camera correctly. I've taken some amazing shots that people ask what kind of camera we used, and I just pull my phone out of my pocket.... "this".

bannertime

How do you bill that? As a separate service or lumped into the art fee?

Joe House

Your pricing was based on the image they supplied. If you have to purchase a high quality stock image somewhere, that should be passed on to the customer (with a mark up). So why look for free images? Look for good images.

equippaint

If it is a reasonable customer and you are confident in what you have to offer then do a side as a test. Explain to them the distance thing and everything else that was said here beforehand. If they like it go on with it and they pay, if not you remove it. There's a thing called cognitive dissonance and your confidence before and after the purchase will help limit this . People struggle to rationalize a purchase and you need to help them with it.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I'm with the sample guys, explain the viewing distance lighting factors deal.
Print a cropped section - Have the customer step outside into the sun and you hold the sample up in your doorway.
If he is still going on about DPI, PPI, pixelation etc. step back - close and lock the door.

wayne k
guam usa

Andy_warp

If your image is RGB there are some pretty powerful new features in Photoshop.

The "camera raw" plug-in in has some pretty nice noise tools. If you are too heavy handed you can get to a painterly effect.

Ideally raw files from the camera would be best. It's less the dpi and more the image you are starting from.
jpegs from camera are great, until you need double the resolution.

A .psd export from the raw file will give you the least amount of artifacts. Period.

"Preserve details 2.0" in the latest CC version blew my mind.
It's really pretty good.

This is a raw file from my Nikon D90. Not full frame and maybe 12 megapixel.

This is from my native 4288px x 2848px file. I went to 42,880px x 28,480px in one step just to see.
The rulers in the image say it all.
Andy

Attachments

• preserve details_2.jpg
    preserve details_2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 376

spooledUP7

Managing customer expectations should be your first interaction with them. You already know what it takes to make the highest quality results, and if you are explaining to them them after the fact (after the job is sold, or worse, completed) then you missed a great opportunity to save face, please the customer, and avoid this problem.
Always say up front "Providing we have access to high quality assets you can expect the highest quality output". Followed by "We will take a look at what you've got and if anything looks out of line then we will immediately contact you and discuss your options". Right then and there you have set their expectations from expecting perfection to expecting imperfections. In addition you have transferred a portion of responsibility back to the customer while at the same time appearing professional, genuinely concerned for their satisfaction and above all competent.

If any of the customer-supplied assets are sub par then their options will be:
  1. Customer provides higher quality assets at no additional cost to them (no costs from you, but maybe costs such as using their own resources).
  2. Customer doesn't have access to higher quality asset(s)
  • You charge them to locate higher quality asset(s)
  • You charge them to recreate higher quality asset(s)
  • You charge them to enhance existing asset(s)
  • They go with what they have and they accept the results at no additional cost
Having a sample of good/kinda good/bad artwork is a great idea to help explain and aid in "Managing customer expectations".

rjssigns

Shoot newer iPhones will get you what you need if you know how to use the camera correctly. I've taken some amazing shots that people ask what kind of camera we used, and I just pull my phone out of my pocket.... "this".

Very true. I'm still rockin' a 5s though. Yes, I'm cheap that way.:D