• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Vehicle wrap scams

illuminate699

Has anyone else been getting emails with people asking if you do vehicle wraps and if you take credit cards.
I have been getting them like once a week. They are usually in broken english. Sometimes just asking for design work. I always ask them more details and if they can bring the vehicle by so I can take a look. then I get an excuse why they can't.

I'm no sucker and I know what they are trying to do. Me to process a deposit then somehow reverse it or something and they get the money and I am out.

Just curious if this is happening to other sign and wrap businesses.

Thanks,
Nate

spooledUP7

I think you are using very good business intuition. I have not seen this type of behavior but I would also be skeptical about the legitimacy, not because of the accent, but because of the resistance to discuss in person. It's getting harder and harder to be protected as a seller, especially with the new chip ID (which doesn't mean crap to me) rules. I don't think it's inconsiderate to ask for additional information and proof of ownership for a credit card when you're talking about a significant purchase. Being cautious is just as beneficial for the customer as it is for you. If you don't have a chip reader then I highly recommend it or else you are dead in the water from the start when it comes to fighting a chargeback.

DrCAS

It used to be lawn signs... then banners... A scam is a scam. Same game with a different name.

TimToad

Here is today's inquiry. They always try to appear innocent or deserving of sympathy by portraying themselves as clergy or injured somehow. we probably get one per week. Easily deleted and address blocked.

"From: Mr, Fred Mars <fredmars29@gmail.com>
Subject: Quote request for Fred Mars

Message Body:
Dear Owners,

Hello This is Mr, Fred Mars looking for Banners Printing & Designing. Please if I have contacted the right company someone should respond back to me. But I have a health problem which is am a disable guy who can't make it to your store and process the order, so please let me know if its possible you guys help me with this Banners order through e-mail/phone communication please. Thank you very much.

Best Regards,

Mr, Fred Mars"

illuminate699

Thanks for the responses. I didn't think i was the only one but just wanted to throw it out there and maybe make other people aware and cautious.
Going to just hit delete as they come in.

CSOCSO

I don't hate paint, I just overlay it.
The health issue ones are the cringiest ones. I got these all the time.
Easy to spot. They either do couple of these things that raises the red flag:
"Do you do vehicle wraps?"
"Do you accept a credit card as a form of payment"
"Are you the owner"
"Will like to know" these mofos always say will like to know. Not "would" but "will". lol. seriously they just copy-paste all this shit.
"Vehicle letting" Instead of lettering. again. they just copy paste whatever crap they have typed up.
"Escalade" oh yeah. they always have a few of those they want to get wrapped.

When i see these in an email i don't even bother answering. I tried to talk to someone once to see where would we get to and actually gave my a photo id. Looked up the guy on facebook. Sent him a dm with a pic of his ID. He told me his identity was stolen a few years ago. It hunts him every day even up today.