• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Venting: F this life

ucmj22

I need a quick vent. the designer working under me just put in his 2 weeks. He got a job working from home, designing newspaper/print ads. The kicker is he's going to be making 10K more than me with full benefits (I have none). I just want to shoot myself in the face...:banghead:

ucmj22

I've been sending out resumes for over a year now, I guess just not to the right places. He is friends with another guy that is working for them so he got tipped off to this position...

ucmj22

See if he can take you with him......?

apparently he is the first dedicated print designer they have picked up, so considering that I dont think they will jump in to having 2 right away. I will absolutely be contacting them and sending my resume if in the future they do need someone else.

Pat Whatley

"First Dedicated Print Designer" sounds experimental. Three months from now they might realize that they were better off with the system they had before and they get rid of the guy.

ucmj22

Wonder how long his job will last :) Newspapers are folding pretty fast around here.

"First Dedicated Print Designer" sounds experimental. Three months from now they might realize that they were better off with the system they had before and they get rid of the guy.

I hope everything goes well for him. He and I have been in a race to a new job, I was just hoping I would get one first.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
So, how is the boss taking it ??

Since you're the Senior Designer where you're presently employed, why not ask them for benefits and a raise, since everything is gonna fall on your shoulders ?? Unless, that would p!ss them off and fire you.

SignProPlus-Chip

I think he may have gotten really lucky. Around here you MIGHT get paid as high as $11 an hour working for the paper as a designer.

I just could never do it. I used to make $15/hr back in 1991...mid 90's I was pulling in $35 plus as a cog in the machine. And freelance illustration, forget it...spot illos could be $500-2500 each.

Ah....good times.

ucmj22

I think he may have gotten really lucky. Around here you MIGHT get paid as high as $11 an hour working for the paper as a designer.

I just could never do it. I used to make $15/hr back in 1991...mid 90's I was pulling in $35 plus as a cog in the machine. And freelance illustration, forget it...spot illos could be $500-2500 each.

Ah....good times.

he will actually be working for a media & marketing group based out of LA, so they are diversified in their offerings, but if you have 100 clients, at least 50 of them are probably going to want/need some kind of print advertising every month, whether it be direct mail, news paper, magazine, inserts, flyers, brochures, etc. and If they have any Auto dealership clients, those are still really heavy newspaper advertisers.

ucmj22

So, how is the boss taking it ??

Since you're the Senior Designer where you're presently employed, why not ask them for benefits and a raise, since everything is gonna fall on your shoulders ?? Unless, that would p!ss them off and fire you.

they were supposed to be out of town again, but one of them stayed back, I'm assuming to try and see about picking up an intern, since they serve no other purpose here.

I am burnt out on talking about salary with them which is why I have just resigned myself to finding another job. Hopes are expressed, promises are made, and nothing ever happens. I feel like I am at the ceiling here since I don't ever see them paying me more than they are paying their son and he doesn't make that much more than I.

J

john1

Wonder how long his job will last :) Newspapers are folding pretty fast around here.

Around here there are all kinds of little newspapers businesses all chip in to get their names out and what not. Kind of a newspaper with buncha ads and coupons but it is something that's popular in my neck of the woods.

Sometimes working for yourself is great and other times you hear of all the benefits and all others get by going to another firm and it's like "My job sucks, i don't have squat"

Well, I know i have regular health care and that's about it, Haven't grew big like some of you guys here yet.

OADesign

Don't sweat it brother.

If we spend time comparing ourselves or measuring ourselves based on the achievements or successes of others, we will never be satisfied and we will drive our selves insane (speaking from experience).

Just chalk it up.

It was not meant for you. It wasn't your time. Keep working hard and your opportunity will come. It WILL come and you will be totally prepared for it.

I need a quick vent. the designer working under me just put in his 2 weeks. He got a job working from home, designing newspaper/print ads. The kicker is he's going to be making 10K more than me with full benefits (I have none). I just want to shoot myself in the face...:banghead:

weaselboogie

I worked for a publication doing ads and a crapload of ads. Just not fun, no time to really fine tune a design. It was down and dirty. I'd take this over that any day.... Except install days when its wet and cold.

ucmj22

I worked for a publication doing ads and a crapload of ads. Just not fun, no time to really fine tune a design. It was down and dirty. I'd take this over that any day.... Except install days when its wet and cold.

even with a 35% pay increase, the addition of benefits, and work from home?.... I just need to stop thinking about it.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
even with a 35% pay increase, the addition of benefits, and work from home?.... I just need to stop thinking about it.

You need to go to that thread where everyone's talking about making pasties and condom lettering and installing them. That'll cheer ya up. :thumb:

CanuckSigns

I've seen your designs, they are pretty good, If you can do what you say you can, and feel like re locating to Canada, I'd give ya a job, with free healthcare ;)

rjssigns

Someone very wise once told me this: "When it is your turn to move you will move, not before".

Along the same lines: "The harder you look the farther away (insert goal) will get".

Both proved true a number of times in my life.