• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

VersaArt RS 640 Reviews?

Cobra397

I have searched the net and this forums but i still come up short on people talking about this printer? Im looking into buying one and all I can find are people talking about the versa series?

I prefer a printer then a separate cutter. Any info on this printer? looking to print banners/Photos/car decals:thankyou:

Cobra397

I run Mutoh's 1608. I have learned more than I wanted on them Lol. What normal replacement parts would you say you go through a year or six months?

How long can you let it sit without printing? Any cleaning issues? Just trying to get an idea on how the Roland compares to Mutoh

I had a Mutoh before this printer and I totally understand what you mean about learning more than you wanted to. I must have had that printer completely apart about 30 times.
I have only had the Roland about a year now, nothing needs replacing yet. You can let it sit as long as you want without printing as long as you leave it turned on all the time. I have let it sit a week without printing anything and it printed perfect when I used it after that. I haven't turned mine off since the day I plugged it in. It runs its own little maintenance every so often so the heads don't clog up or anything. Cleaning is super simple also, you just move the heads over to the cleaning station and wipe them down with cleaning solution once a week.

Cobra397

I know if i print on mine a full size print the smell gets pretty stout. How is the smell ? The new machine if i decide to get it will go in the back of a storefront about 30 feet from customers. What materials do you print on if you dont mind me picking your brain :thankyou:

Robert M

That Roland

Are you looking to get a used one. As I recall that printer was using the old style epson DX 4 heads, one head for each color. The current Mutoh 1324 is using the latest Epson 8 channel single print head (DX6?), faster and less to worry about with only one cap top and one pump. Inks for the Roland and Mutoh are going to be about the same. Compare prices with Mimaki and Mutoh against Roland and you may save some money.

I don't notice the smell but I have been in the printing business for 20+ years so I am probably just used to it. We print mostly vinyl and banners here, have printed on just about everything from high end material to low end. You get what you pay for as far as material is concerned, the better the material the better it will print.
You are right Robert, Mutoh is less expensive than Roland however I personally will never go back to Mutoh again. The experience I had was enough.
It is what it is really, some people like Ford and some like Chevy. Others like a Honda or a Toyota. I owned a Ford once... Never again.

jmb474

We are running 2 rs-640 and they are definite workhorses. We have had them for a little over a year and couldnt be happier with them. We have ours running all day long and never notice any smell coming from them.

mofire

We have 2 of them. One is 2 years old and the other is about a year old. They work great. We run the hell out of them and have had great luck with them.

DRamm76

I actually think the print quality of the RS is fantastic, especially for a 4 color. I'm running samples today on Roland's new Glossy Backlit Film on the RS Series. Quality is excellent and I actually prefer the media handling system as well as the pinch roller setup on this unit.

Of course the downside is not having a cutter but it all depends on what type of business you are in.

Cobra397

Thanks for the great responses! This is exaclty what I was looking for. Sales reps can sell but I always look to end users for feedback.

Banners I know the machines will handle. Guess I am looking for photos to print/ High quality decals.

Dont be confused. This part of printing is very new to me. I have been reading everyday trying to learn more and more about these machines and what they can and cant do.

This year will be evaluating how much my buddy and his business outsource to see if it will be worth me buying a print/cut/laminate system. I have the advantage of running printers just not on vinyl and He has the years of sign experience. I just dont want a machine to be my limiting factor.

Already have enough hurdles :thankyou:
one question, I know these machines do 64 inches. Where to you buy 64 inch media or everyone just use smaller vinyl and bigger stuff for banners? everywhere I checked they mostly sell 24, 54 inch stuff?

Still new so go easy on me :)

Cobra397

In the year or two any of you have been running these printers what would you say are the biggest problems?

What parts are you replacing mostly? any head or cleaning station issues?

Sounds like a solid machine and dependable .

DRamm76

I hate to say this but being both on the sales end AND the service end..When it comes to the Rolands we service, about 90%..yes 90% of all issues and service calls we face are due to lack of maintenance. I will, however, play devil's advocate and say out of those calls, there are a large number of customers who were never TAUGHT how to do proper maintenance on their printer.

Charlie J

I hate to say this but being both on the sales end AND the service end..When it comes to the Rolands we service, about 90%..yes 90% of all issues and service calls we face are due to lack of maintenance. I will, however, play devil's advocate and say out of those calls, there are a large number of customers who were never TAUGHT how to do proper maintenance on their printer.

Ya just gotta keep it clean. Nobody likes funk in their printer.

VencaGSX

lesstalkmorework
Brringing this threadback.. Got sweat deal on RS640 printer.. thinking buy him and would like to know whats your experience after few years of running
whats are biggest issues with... we print like 50 square meters per month BTW
Thanks!

jimmmi

Brringing this threadback.. Got sweat deal on RS640 printer.. thinking buy him and would like to know whats your experience after few years of running
whats are biggest issues with... we print like 50 square meters per month BTW
Thanks!
So did you buy the RS-640?